advertisement

Is anyone using a ADC converter as interface between turntable and DAC

Magnuska

pfm Member
Hi!

Today I have a Rega P3 to Teddy Pr1 analog preamp. Phonostage is the external Lejonklou slipsik.

As I really not use many analog inputs these days just one for the turntable. Can I connect the Rega P3 to the Teddydac via a ADC converter without loosing to much in SQ?
The truth is I don`t listen so much on vinyl anymore but I need to have it available.

Future plan could be a system without the Teddy pre and then put more money in a better dac.

I have seen this interface http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BBGCCI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20 Any good?

Thanks

Magnus

I use an Audiolab/Lakewest MDAC L2 "Toy" as DAC and preamp, so I have no analogue inputs. I used a professional audio interface that had an ADC in it for a time, but it was a pain to use, and sounded awful if the levels were not set correctly. I then found a Meridian 221 which they made to interface analogue sources with their digital speakers... It "just works" with no knobs, level controls or hassle. I get the best sound I have ever heard from my turntable, which as a died in the wool anti-digital audiophile that resisted CDs for a decade, really annoys me... Digitising my vinyl should not work!

I did. A £25 ADC. Rega P25 tt/Dyna P75 into ADC into MDAC L2 Toy. It digitises at 24/48KHz, and I'd be lying to say that I could reliably detect its presence in the signal chain versus the same TT connected via analogue, though that's a difficult test to do. Might be because my TT isn't high end, but I suspect it's because, really, 24/48KHz is plenty good enough to cover the range of sound in vinyl.

The 221 is 24/96 and I'm pretty sure that is enough to capture anything on an LP. Other factors probably work against ultimate quality, but it sounds absolutely stunning...

Surely if you do this you only need to ever play each record once more and then just stick the result on a NAS. What is to be gained from repeat plays?

Will also ask Linn that question if I can ever find anyone from that outfit again.

Although I've had the facility to digitise LPs for years, it's just too much like hard work. Ripping a CD guarantees getting everything off a CD, but ripping vinyl has too many unknowns, if the level is too low your 24bit recording is nothing near that, and if to high, it's useless... So, its easier just to put it on and listen to it. I've yet to find a 33.3 rpm record that is too "hot" for my 221 so I suspect I'm not getting 24bit resolution.

But, yes, in theory its a one off exercise.

I'm intrigued about this. If you have a Linn Exakt system apparently the analogue in is digitised and sent out to the speakers, however from what I can gather there isn't a conventional digital out to record from (but I may be wrong).

My point though is how do these systems set the record level - I have a digital recorder (Sony thing) and can record at 24/192 but it has record levels, I've only briefly experimented but the recordings seem to be at quite a low level compared to normal digital files. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this or explain how the Linn and Meridian systems can achieve the right levels automatically?

I have the ps audio convertor, not only it is a excellent phono stage with a wide range of settings, it as a ADC which produce a clean digital rip, I do product 96k rips but it is time consuming if you cant find meta data. the diffence between the vinyl and the rip is very small indeed

A needledrop only takes a snapshot in time , if you change something on the TT/Cart etc , that needledrop is no longer "valid"
At any rate , having used meridian a lot and now devialet , all my analog input has been digitised by at the very least , a 24/96 AD (I used Z-sys) and my Thorens currently runs into the devialet... I have noi idea of how good or bad it is..

Considering I have only 4 Lps' , the TT is only used in my listening room as an ornament , every card carrying audiophile needs either a TT or valves to establish true credentials and I chose a TT :)

Thanks to all so far- very interesting.

Some people do a one time recording and forget about the turntable but some like to use it in real time perhaps just for its a special feeling using vinyl.

JTC what is your interface, mark and brand please?

Jim, the meridian 221 looks interesting. Do you know if its available today?

Rich46 - a very interesting blend of a highquailty phonostage and ADC for listening in real time not only recording to USB. The very high price though is negative. Any one knows there are similar but less pricey alternatives to this?

Magnus

I like the presence of a turntable, it feels too minimal without at least a token reminder of how far we have come. I'm a bodger and thus mine is self made from scrap, custom machined parts, lovingly woodworked bits, unused bits from other pieces and the cheapest crap I could find on eBay and designed to look the way I think a TT should look.

I like turntables, sometimes I switch it on just to put plastic toys on it to spin round and round and round and round and...

I use a Uwe Beis ADC between my Whest phonostage and my M2Tech Young DSD DAC+Digital pre, cost around £120.

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html

When I had an analogue pre-amp I could not hear any difference with and ADC and DAC vs straight through. So this approach allowed me to minimise the number of boxes and connections.

I use a Uwe Beis ADC between my Whest phonostage and my M2Tech Young DSD DAC+Digital pre, cost around £120.

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html

When I had an analogue pre-amp I could not hear any difference with and ADC and DAC vs straight through. So this approach allowed me to minimise the number of boxes and connections.

I'm in the same boat - planning to sell my preamp and use ADC into DAC.

I've bought a £15 ADC unit off Amazon, which I will use as a test - what advantages are there of paying more for something like the AD24QS? My TT set up is pretty good - Inspire Eclipse TT, Ortofon Cadenza Black Cart, Trilogy Phono Stage - so I guess my concern is to main the sound quality that I had via the preamp.

You can imagine that a 15 UKP ADC does not contain a state of the art ADC chip (or even something close to it), and top-class analogue and supply circuits. So there is always the chance that it will impact sound quality, even when this impact is relatively small.

Something like the Beis does use very good chips, and a reasonably well though-out input circuit that is amenable to tweaking. Its supply arrangement is somewhat suspect, but that too can be fixed. One might end up with a top-class standalone ADC for less than 250 UKP, all in. Set this to 96kHz, insert it in the system, and then forget about it.

Look at the Pro audio market .. losts of devices that can do ADC .. use at least 24/96 or higher if your dac can handle it
I used a Z-sys 24/96 ADC for my DSP meridian speakers to get the vinyl in

I use an Illusonic IAP processor ,it has an inbuilt phono stage and the analogue signal is converted by the units ADC for processing ,sound quality is superb.
Keith.

Hi

I finally dropped the idea of a ADC converter. I find that SQ via my analogue Teddy pardo preamp is better than connecting my dac direct to poweramp.

I use an Illusonic IAP processor ,it has an inbuilt phono stage and the analogue signal is converted by the units ADC for processing ,sound quality is superb.
Keith.

Errm, When Bolts mentioned paying more than £15 for an ADC, I doubt he had $21K in mind! Anyway, well done for the plug.

So sorry if the thread title had read,' is anyone using a £15 ADC converter ' I wouldn't have replied, the IAP8 I use is FYI £10k , and is probably the most useful and produces the finest sound quality I have experienced.
Keith.

Hi

I finally dropped the idea of a ADC converter. I find that SQ via my analogue Teddy pardo preamp is better than connecting my dac direct to poweramp.

Same experience here sadly. I use a combination of MiniDsp 22D with Dirac for room correction and a 4x10HD for sub EQ and time alignment etc. which is great for digital.

Tried running my near top spec LP12 through the 4x10's ADC (balanced in/out). It does a pretty good job but it sounds processed and lacks detail, especially in the higher frequencies. Also tried digital out to my Chord DAC. Whilst better, more analogue sounding, it still lacked detail and depth. For example, Cymbals shimmer and decay elegantly in analogue but splash and end abruptly through the 4x10's AD.

I do however feed the 4x10 from the RCA's of my phono stage and low pass the signal for sub EQ etc. At very low freq's its impossible to tell the difference.

To Bolts question, I think if you have a highly resolving TT you probably need to go some way up the $$$ curve for accurate ADC. Its definitely the way forward though imo , the benefits of EQ and room correction are considerable.

advertisement

Back