advertisement

Is anyone here into this complicated stuff?

Michael J

pfm Member
Is anyone here into these complicated systems? Link Multi-channel surround thingies. I can sort of understand the big home-theatre movie buffs wanting to recreate cinema-style crunching and booms, but it's an awful lot of kit (speakers etc.) needed to get there.

Ed: You will need some cables for most systems, hence the title. ;-)

For me it's always been a mathematical problem. Assuming we all have a budget, would one rather spend the speaker budget divided by 2 or 5/6 speakers? For me the answer has never changed from 2.

A mate of mine does a bit of this when he can be bothered. Then again he does have a houseful of hifi, so coming up with 7 channels of amplification, an active sub or two and a pile of speakers is never a problem. The difficulty is getting in the room afterwards. As a result he seldom sets up the "serious" projector system and "makes do" with the big TV and 5.1 in his lounge.

A mate of mine does a bit of this when he can be bothered. Then again he does have a houseful of hifi, so coming up with 7 channels of amplification, an active sub or two and a pile of speakers is never a problem. The difficulty is getting in the room afterwards. As a result he seldom sets up the "serious" projector system and "makes do" with the big TV and 5.1 in his lounge.

A lesson for us all!

advertisement

Back