advertisement

iPhone knowledge, please.

mjw

pfm Member
iphone 6S - sends and receives iMessages OK but if sending a text to a non-Apple mobile, the red ‘failed to send’ symbol displays but the recipient receives three of the same text.
Anyone any idea what’s going on and how to sort it, please?

Settings, messages, send as SMS.
That's a workaround, not an explanation. I haven't got it either, though :confused:

@mjw : can it be that you pressed the SEND button three times, thinking the message wouldn't get sent anyway ?

And is the problem still there today ?

It’s the MiL’s phone and we assumed she’d multi-pressed so seized the phone and did a controlled experiment - same result.

Sounds more like a network issue than a phone issue. Most phones implement an auto retry mechanism in the background, so if the network fails to respond to sending the message it will re-transmit, twice in this case. None of the messages are receiving an acknowledgement from the network, so you get the message sending failure you see. I would suggest contacting the mobile network if this is a persistent issue. The iPhone will default to using iMessage when sending to another iPhone, using Apples network, to non Apple phones it will fall back to using good old SMS.

Found this in the apple database.

tldr.. I would reset your network settings... You’ll need to re-install Wifi passwords. So make sure you have that one when you hand it back to the MIL.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I can appreciate how annoying double texts are, so let's see if we can isolate a cause together. First and foremost, is this problem only happening with non-Apple devices, or are you also receiving iMessages that are coming through twice? The reason I ask is that non-Apple device texts are known as SMS/MMS messages, and are solely supported by your local carrier. If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to them before trying anything else.

If the duplicate texts aren't exclusive to SMS/MMS messages, let's check on a few device-specific things. Are you running the most current version of iOS? If you aren't, perform a back up beforehand, then get the device up-to-date. Head to Settings > Notifications > Messages and double-check that Repeat Alerts is set to 'Never'. Let's also check Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure you don't see any duplicate listings there. If not, go back one page and switch the iMessage toggle off, power off the iPhone for a few minutes, then restart it and turn iMessage back on.

If none of the above works, try erasing the device and set it up as new. This eliminates any software that may be conflicting with iOS 12 and causing the issue you've been experiencing. Here's a helpful article about the restore process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Thanks for the input thus far. I’ll ensure the phone’s up to date then, if the problem persists, put a call through to Three.
Thanks again.

advertisement

Back