advertisement

iPhone 8, locked out...

cj66

pfm Member
An acquaintance of my wife has managed to lock herself out of her iPhone 8 by entering a wrong code too many times.
The phone now wants to "connect to iTunes", via a computer to get past the lock.
She has no other device and the phone has never synced to a computer. She has no other version of iTunes except the one on her phone.
She says the phone is fully backed up to the cloud.

From a wazz around the net it seems she needs a minimum of a computer with iTunes on it before she can clear the phone and code and then recover all its data from the cloud.

Have I understood that right? Could I simply download iTunes to my win10 laptop and proceed from there or are there more exacting requirements e.g. must the iTunes on Win10 be set up at hers?
Lovely to have all this security if you're an iUser of multiple formats but if only one seems a bit of a nightmare.

An acquaintance of my wife has managed to lock herself out of her iPhone 8 by entering a wrong code too many times.
The phone now wants to "connect to iTunes", via a computer to get past the lock.
She has no other device and the phone has never synced to a computer. She has no other version of iTunes except the one on her phone.
She says the phone is fully backed up to the cloud.

From a wazz around the net it seems she needs a minimum of a computer with iTunes on it before she can clear the phone and code and then recover all its data from the cloud.

Have I understood that right? Could I simply download iTunes to my win10 laptop and proceed from there or are there more exacting requirements e.g. must the iTunes on Win10 be set up at hers?
Lovely to have all this security if you're an iUser of multiple formats but if only one seems a bit of a nightmare.

It could be that simple. (crosses fingers)

Try calling Apple.

3! Then you have reset the phone. That’s rather extreme. Some people don't have a computer to do the reset nowadays due to phones being so powerful.

You get lots of attempts, but it’s a slowly sliding scale, first you’re locked out for a few minutes, then 15 then an hour and so on... I think after every three failed attempts the tariff gets a little higher.

Guy gave his iPad to his 3 year old kid.

Evan Osnos, a journalist from Washington DC, got locked out of his iPad for 25 million minutes after his son repeatedly - and unsuccessfully - tried to unlock the device. To put that into context, 25 million minutes is 47.5 years!​

advertisement

Back