advertisement

Ion Obelisk 3 and 3X active question

jonnoshore

physicist, engineer and healer
I have both these great little amps... the 3X is currently driving my Naim IBL's passively.

I also have a redundant NAXO2-4 :) plan brewing...

My plan is to go active in system 2...

Question about Ion Obelisks... I'd like to use the preamp section of the 3X but take it out of the amp into the NAXO then feed it back in to 3X to power either bass or treble, the 3 with do the opposite drivers. I wanted to do it like this as the 3 and 3X may have slightly different sound so need to maintain channel balance. The pre amp stage of the 3 will be redundent.

I assume I just sever the links internally from the pre and power boards in both amps and use the pre-power connections on the back of the 3X and the power on the 3.

3X pre > NAXO2-4 > 3X power Bass
.........................> 3 power treble

Comments?

Hi John,

That looks like it should work; if Quickie has any of that nice Silver/PTFE signal cable left it will be ideal. What are you going to power the NAXO2-4 with? They are fussy sods when it comes their power supply.

Regards,

Mus

Mus,
Power will be Hicap to see if it works/sounds like borrowed from the big system... then ? ALWSR or Traco or another few options... power is less of a concern than getting the NAXO2-4 running again (blown resistor) and knowing what to do in the 3/3X to split the pre-power...
John

I didn't realise the NAXO2-4 was broken. If you post an image of your NAXO2-4 showing the blown parts I can help with component values - if you can't make them out yourself. That said, it's unlikely that the problem is just a blown resistor, expect other casualties.

Regards,

Mus

I think it is just the 27 Ohm blown... I have a SNAXO and an old naxo2-3 or something that does 2 and 3 way speakers too.

advertisement

Back