advertisement

Ion Obelisk 2

Pine Marten

pfm Member
A tidy Obelisk 2 arrived today and I swapped it in place of the 32.5 with RSL boards,HiCap, monobloc Avondale NCC 220s into Kudos Cardea C20s. Well pleased with the overall performance! Its a keeper. I guess a recap is in order as I doubt its been touched since new, June 1989. Anything else worthwhile doing whilst it's on the bench? Now on the lookout for some speakers and CD player to complete the setup for the bedroom system.

If you want to improve the performance then you can fit larger power supply capacitors and output capacitors.
Obelisk 2 output capacitor 2200µF, PS 4700µF
Obelisk 3X 10000µF, PS 22000µF
If you need a copy of the circuit diagram, PM me with your email.

The ps caps are Rubycon 10000uf already. Didnt notice the value on the output caps, also Rubycon btw. A very nice Rotel RCD855 and a nice mint pair of Dali Zensor 1's, both s/h on the way! Now someones going to suggest modding the 855...............

Lovely little amps.

I've had one for years that my mother used with an Arcam Alpha 5 CD player, and a pair of Arcam 3 speakers.

Shes in care now, and the family home is finally sold, so the amp is back with me.

Full recap, and maybe some mods is on the menu when I have finished building my A class amp.

I have the big caps for the power supply and amp outputs on order, Vishay long lifes from CPC. More for peace of mind than replacing failing or leaky originals. I picked up a mint pair of s/h Dali Zensor 1 speakers too. Sorely tempted to try and get a cheap but decent TT too, for vey occaisional use, Pioneer PL12D? Sansui 222? Trio 1033?

The Rotel has the TDA1541 chipset it seems you may be able to NOS and do some mods :)

There is a Youtuber who has modded a few CD players with this chipset. And the Naim CD3 and the Arcam Alpha 5 has this too...

The recapping was well worth it, improved dynamics and a greater sense of vitality and grip. A tidy Sansui SR 222 mk 2 has turned up for occasional LP duty. Needed a new belt and oiling/cleaning up. I had a spare AT95e, the older version, and with careful setting up, it does a pretty good job. Now I'm wondering if its worth a punt on the newer version which seems to have many fans here. Addis pads with bumpers under the Dalis now too. I'm well happy with the whole lot, a decent HiFi system for £364!

advertisement

Back