advertisement

Invaluable asset for FM listeners-well in N. America anyway

rontoolsie

pfm Member
If you are serious about squeezing the most out of your FM stations, and already use a directional antenna, then it is vital that it is pointed in the right direction. The right antenna in the wrong direction is the wrong antenna.

I live on the fringe reception area of a very good NPR classical station, and even with the G17 could barely get the stereo light to come on with the NAT01, no matter how I tried making small adjustments in alignment. Then I discovered FMfool.com- you enter your address and presto-it provides not only the stations in your area, but the signal strength and the true and magnetic directions to aim antennas. Once I had aligned my antenna, using a compass app on the Android to exactly the right angle, the stereo light is now lit. The sound quality also takes a step up.

A rotating mast can spin past the sweet spot before the stereo light has a chance to illuminate, so it is better to know roughly (or exactly) where to aim before you pull the trigger.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n0361d5m43inl7/FMFool.png

Or you could have got a G23 and had even greater hassles with precise alignment but with stronger signal. Had one in Ramsgate (Kent) for years, installed by Ron and his son in '87; magnificent on a rotator but a beast nonetheless !:)

Nice tool. Here in the UK I think most folk listen to the main BBC stations and perhaps a local or two. When having an aerial installed the installer should take care of correct alignment to the transmitter serving the locality. However in areas of very strong signal a simple dipole or three element aerial can often put a tuner into full FM quieting - even a Naim or old tube jobbie.

A lot depends on the tuner. I see no reason why good sensitivity and selectivity (preferably variable) shouldn't be de rigueur on a mid-high end tuner. Dozens of good examples out there but nearly all Japanese and vintage.

advertisement

Back