advertisement

Introducing The Print Shop

So... I have signed up for my first craft fair and it's being held next week. Please do pop by and say hello if you can make it. It would be great to see some of you there :) Here are the details:

https://www.facebook.com/events/270953406941724/

I will be selling prints of my images (framed and unframed) I will also be selling hand made greetings / Christmas cards featuring my images.

I've just dropped these A3 prints off at the framers.

Hope to see you on the 17th :)

45796337681_dd3163f2a7_b.jpg

Amar

Last edited:
@Paulicus - Thanks for asking, appreciate it. The fair isn't till next week so I'm currently prepping like crazy (but having a lot of fun doing it). Here are four designs of the A5 greetings / Christmas cards which I will be selling :)

44011435370_ec8bc6ca3e_b.jpg

Amar

@Paulicus Thank you, and for the tip on calendars. Unfortunately, I've left it too late to sort one out this year (lead times from suppliers at this time of year are very long) so it looks like this might have to wait till next year.

I've rather enjoyed the process of getting everything together (makes you look at your images in a different, and more ruthless way) so I'm hoping to be doing more of these :)

Amar

@Tarzan - I know, I really should get around to downsizing it!

My system has seen very little use since I became a father just over 4 years ago. I suddenly lost interest in it (but not in music, which I still listen to a lot using headphones and my phone)

My loss of interest in hifi coincided with a new found interest in photography. (Which has turned into a bit of an obsession!)

@Lefty Amar, I hope you have a great day tomorrow and are successful in selling some prints and cards, but whatever happens enjoy the experience.

Thank you David - really appreciate the good wishes mate! :)

That's exactly the attitude I'm going in with. If people find some connection with my work then I'll be happy. Any sales on top of this are a bonus. Really looking forward to it.

Amar

and was it worthwhile?

Thanks for asking - yes it was :) I sold a couple of prints and also a good number of cards. A lady also took my details saying she wanted to decorate a cottage with some prints so hopefully that will lead to some sales.

I also had some really good conversations with people finding connection with my local landscape work. My image of a frozen over Willen Lake in the snow made a few jaws drop (They couldn't believe it was taken in Milton Keynes!).

I also learned loads for my next fair. I will definitely be doing more (after a bit of a rest - it was exhausting!!)

Amar

Here's the updated pricelist :)

Hopefully folk will find these prices very fair / reasonable, particularly for A2 prints. (The Print Space charge £25 for an A2 giclée print)

Many thanks Tantris :) I've just finished profiling the PF Lustre and Matt Ultra and am absolutely blown away by the quality! Just stunning. I'll post some of the results when I get a chance but suffice to say I am very happy indeed.

I've only printed A4 sized black and white images (with fantastic results - the blacks are wonderfully deep / intense and the images really 'pop' off the page) so far but I've got an image in mind which I want to print at A2. I'll make sure I post thew results :)

Amar
Hi Amar

Might it be worthwhile giving details such as preferred pixel counts for the different sizes of print, as well as preferred format (jpeg/tiff), colourspace and sharpening?

Hi Amar

Might it be worthwhile giving details such as preferred pixel counts for the different sizes of print, as well as preferred format (jpeg/tiff), colourspace and sharpening?

Hi, yes of course - happy to provide guidelines for this if people find it helpful:

• Image size / resolution: This is a tricky one as it depends on intended viewing distances and to a certain extent, the type of image. (painterly / artsy images tend to be more tolerant of being blown up large whereas something like a wildlife image which needs to be 'sharp' tneds to be less forgiving). With that caveat, I have found that the information at the following page is a pretty good rule of thumb:
  • Preferred format: The bigger the file the better! TIFF is the best, but to be honest, JPEG at 100% quality are also absolutely fine
  • Colourspace: Technically, Adobe RGB is best as it's a wider colour gamut than sRGB. However, it's worth bearing in mind that if you want to supply files in Adobe RGB, then your entire workflow, from capture to processing needs to be Adobe RGB. (i.e. make sure you set our camera's colourspace to Adobe RGB, ensure your screen is calibrated to Adobe RGB, and process in Adobe RGB). In practice, sRGB is also fine so do not worry if you don't have a full Adobe RGB workflow.
  • Sharpening: Capture sharpening (i.e. any sharpening you apply during processing) is absolutely fine. However, I would prefer if the files were supplied without any output sharpening applied.
I hope this helps :)

It's worth noting that I also offer a free image review service and can advise on the suitability of files for print, so don't worry if the above doesn't make sense!

Amar

General Guidelines for high-quality printing sizes @ various ISO levels

ISO 100-200: 16"x24" to 32"x48"
ISO 200-400: 14"x21" to 28"x42"
ISO 400-800: 12"x18" to 24"x36"
ISO 800-1600: 10"x15" to 20"x30"
ISO 1600-3200: 8"x12" to 16"x24"
ISO 3200-6400: 6"x9" to 12"x18"

Might be useful for some folk, although I'm not sure how much given the quality of modern sensors that we're blessed with these days.

Rather pleased with these open edition prints made for @omegatt

These will look superb framed and up on the wall :)

44526385770_80445651ce_c.jpg

A2: Matt Ultra 240

46292785112_7e49d50e04_c.jpg

A2: PF Lustre 275

44526389280_2007819f48_c.jpg

A3: Platinum Baryta 300

Amar

advertisement

Back