advertisement

Interview - Scott Walker

bor

queue jumper
Scott gives a rare interview in The Guardian. Talks about a live interpretation of Tilt/Drift from Albarn/Jarvis Cocker/Gavin Friday et al.

Be nice to get a report on this if anyone goes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/09/scott-walker-interview

...Of late, though, his music often seems to be drifting towards the last final, awful silence. 'Perhaps,' he says, 'perhaps.' Does he ever, I ask, miss the old days, when his songs lasted three minutes, had verses and choruses and were easier to write? He laughs. 'Not really, no. I mean, back then, I could write a song like "Big Louise" in an evening. That would be good sometimes and, you know, I would do that if the lyrics demanded it.'

Could he ever see that happening again? 'No. I write a different kind of song these days. There's not a lot of harmony and there aren't the thick textures I used to use. It's generally just big blocks of sound, raw and stark. A big emotional noise.' Another silence. 'Essentially, I am attempting the impossible over and over, trying to find a way to say the unsayable. For some reason,' he says, laughing, 'that just seems to take a lot longer.'

• Drifting and Tilting: the Songs of Scott Walker is at the Barbican, London EC2 from Friday November 14 to Sunday November 16

Tilt - A tour de force of how to make a properly mixed CD with real dynamics.

Stunning and scary.

One part of it always catches me out and sends me shooting out of the sofa!

Great interview by Sean O'Hagan.

He is one of the few music writers worth reading and did an excellent piece on My Bloody Valentine a few months ago.

Jack

I'd buy it but you know darn well it will be on BBC4 or CH4 in a few months.

Thats why I never buy comedy DVDs anymore.

It's especially great the division of opinions that some of the people interviewed have of the man's post Climate of Hunter opus. I was introduced to the man with Tilt (read about it in a David Bowie interview around the time it came out, he mentioned it as his favourite album that year) so I actually found his first stuff quite bland on first listen! Of course I love it now.

advertisement

Back