advertisement

Interpreting input & output levels/ sensitivities/ impedences for pre & power

norliss

pfm Member
I expect that when using a pre and power from the same 'series' and manufacturer that this would be a non-issue, but I was wondering how to interpret the pertinent figures with regards to using Pre-amp X from Manufacturer X with Power-amp Y from Manufacturer Y.

What is it that I need to be aware of/ look out for?

90% of the time there should be no problem. Occasionally there can be problems with impedance matching. A common rule of thumb is that the input impedance of the power amplifier should be at least ten times the output impedance of the preamp. Many modern solid-state power amps have quite a low input impedance - say 10 kohms. And some valve preamps can have an output impedance of 2 or 3 kohms. Also, passive preamps can present a very high output impedance, depending on the volume level selected. So problems are not impossible. Gain/sensitivity issues are rarer. If you're buying vintage gear or something a bit more boutique you might need to be careful, though. If you have a particular combination in mind it would be easier to comment.

advertisement

Back