advertisement

Internet router help needed, please.

Fudgemaster

pfm Member
I decided to try a mesh router system, to smooth out Wi-Fi reception around the house, but as our daughter is working from home, the last thing I need is to put us in a position where she can't.
I have a Virgin super hub 3 and three TP Link devices, and have bought two eero mesh devices. I know that I need to download their app., which I have done. I now also know how to access my hub3, to change it to a modem, and back again if necessary.
What I don't know is whether I can still use the Ethernet connections which are connected to adjacent tv and Bluray player/recorder, when I change it to a modem?
I dread faffing with these things, so any reassurance that it actually is a simple procedure would help. I think that, having connected one eeo device correctly, I can try the other in different locations around the house, just by plugging it into a power source, and following the instructions?
And the TP Link system can/should just then be disconnected?
Please keep things simple, and I'll be grateful, otherwise the eero devices will be returned, and perhaps get a more powerful router instead.
Thanks.

what are the tp link devices?

from memory (I am a VM) customer if you put the superhub into modem mode, one of the wired ports remains active so you can connect a 3rd party router.

You could probably connect your mesh base station to the VM box in modem mode. If you want more wired connections then you'll need a router as well. Putting the VM superhub into modem mode stops it from acting as a router.....

When you say you bought the mesh to smooth out the WiFi, what does that mean to you? what was the rationale?

and perhaps get a more powerful router instead.

that might have been the simplest answer.

What is the layout of your house? how many storeys? were there dead spots in WiFi coverage and where were they in relation to your existing WiFi antennae.

Not sure I'm much help here, but I recently put a Netgear in instead of the VM hub, I was faffing about for ages with it and couldn't get it to setup properly. Research carefully before you change the settings, the D version of my router was apparently much harder to install than the R version. But I didn't know this until I brought it home. Be careful also that you know how to reverse the modem mode, I had to call VM to get them to reverse it ( I had 3 people in the house who were going to kill me). As it turned out I didn't put the VM into modem mode and just connected the netgear to the devices around the house. So I have that old wifi network for emergencies, I had seen vast stability improvements on coverage and stability but the setup nearly had me kicking things over. If you know someone in the know then get some 'on site' support. Do it when no one if dependent on it too much.

Our existing Wi-Fi is actually working quite well, but occasionally connections don't automatically change over between the superhub, in the dining room, and the TP link WPA 4220 in the sitting room, when changing between rooms. I just thought having a mesh system would avoid this minor problem. Strictly speaking it's a small issue, but it would mean only one password input to regain Wi-Fi access.
Perhaps I'll just send them back, and continue with our existing system, which isn't actually causing any problems. We can stream Netflix and Prime without problems or dropouts, all around the house, though haven't got 4K telly yet,but fine on full hd.
I've also just realised that some mesh systems work on a master/satellite system, which may not help me anyway, should I need more than two units, rather than a daisy chain system which I would prefer.

Hi Fudge

Ok to be clear what you really want to be doing for a mesh network is turning off all other wifis. Turn off the wifi in the hub. You want just the mesh network, its the entire point of it, wifi devices will auto join and swap between the meshed wifi points. Having other wifi networks your devices can connect to smeg this all up.

For the average house you will get away with 2 mesh points but three is better I reckon. I use Unifi, I have also had good times with BTWhole home.

No idea what the TP links are but guessing ethernet over mains, or put another way, the devils turds. these can remain plugged in and 'working' and probably needed to have your sky int he sitting room if they use ethernet leads.

One other thing to consider is mesh networks work best if they themselves are connected to the router via ethernet.

The Asus AIMesh works really well if anyone else is considering this route. The RT-AC68U can be had relatively cheaply just now (before WIFI6 really takes off) one with the DSL and others without make a great system...

Hi, garyi, thanks, and I would have disconnected the mains borne TP system, as there would have been system conflict.
I have found a sequence to follow and did make a start walking through the steps, but chickened out. I have to change the superhub3 from modem/router to modem only, then switch off the virgin modem/router, unplug everything, set up the mesh unit via their app, then follow their steps and all will be well.
Now, I have a smart tv and a bluray recorder plugged into the Ethernet sockets of the superhub3, but when that functions only as a modem won't work with ethernet, other than one port to feed the eero, and I will have to use the Ethernet ports on the eero unit instead.
Does that sound logical?

that might have been the simplest answer.

What is the layout of your house? how many storeys? were there dead spots in WiFi coverage and where were they in relation to your existing WiFi antennae.
It's a four bed house, dining room and kitchen in one half, LHS looking at front elevation, sitting room at rear, RHS.
Level 1, bedroom and en suite across front, two dbl beds either side of central single bedroom.
Virgin inlet is into dining room, at the front of the house, and the Superhub3 is on top of a unit. The Super hub then feeds the TP Link via the mains, to sitting room extenders, two off. Signal strength from both is very good, and usually allows reasonable wifi in the garden, up to about ten feet of the house, and had no complaints from the bedroom at the farthest point from the router. Another TP Link in the sitting room feeds a Humax Freesat recorder and a Pioneer bluray player/recorder ( we have three, in case you're wondering), and stream Prime and Netflix, and have had no problems, even with HD.
SO, no real problems, actually, no blackspots or dropouts, and the only reason to have a mesh system is to avoid changing from router signal to TP signal in sitting room, where it is stronger than the router signal. Which only happens occasionally, but it's probably another case of upgradeitis, an itch which you have to scratch.

I use Draytek currently a 2862. It has 4 aerials and I get coverage over the 3 floors of this modern 6 bedroom detached house. The WiFi hot spot is however located on the 3rd floor in my office and that helps with the coverage. The higher up the better.

We have loads of devices and often have 3 HD TV streams on the go without problems.

Maybe if you have thick stone walls then a more robust solution may be required.

Cheers,

DV

It might be better if the OP explains exactly what they are trying to achieve and the exact model numbers of al the stuff in this soup lol.
A network in a house is made up of a couple of elements, these elements can be in one box or spread over a number:

A modem - Talks to your ISP
A Router - Negotiates connections to your modem from your local area network and vise versa. Provides devices on your network IP addresses to facilitate this
wifi Access Point - allows wireless devices on the network access to the router
Switch - Allows wired devices on the network access to the router

The virgin super hub has all this built in, but is a bit shit,

What is the OP trying to achieve?

Initially, I thought I would upgrade our Wi-Fi around the house, which is actually still working well, and gives good coverage for all our devices. But, as my daughter is working from home and needs reliable working internet, I don't want to compromise that.
So, not fully I understanding these systems, and don't have ready access to someone who does, it makes sense to stay as we are, and I can return the mesh devices for a refund. And as we have wifi coverage around the house and into the garden, a more powerful router probably won't be of much benefit.
Internet is mainly used for browsing, and daughter's work, for however long that will last, and occasional Netflix or Prime streaming, and no problems with any of that, so far.
I shall confine my upgrading urges to my hifi system and record collection, where I'm more at home, and will be able to enjoy a real benefit.I
Until I fully I understand the intricacies of wifi, etc.
Many thanks for your help, it's helped me understand how much I don't know, and is much appreciated.

I am happy to help I guess its in the language you are using, i.e. a more powerful router has nothing to do with good wifi coverage. but if in the future you decide to upgrade then you would get a more powerful router (for faster routing performance, more enhanced security features etc) and put the virgin into modem only mode. Then to upgrade your wifi, install a wifi mesh system.

By the sounds of things you dont need either of these just now :)

Many thanks, garyi, your input has been much appreciated, and helped clarify things. I was trying to be as clear as I could, it wasn't easy.
I do understand that there are modems, routers, combinations, which is what my Super hub 3 is, and there's also an Ethernet switching device?
Due to Management resistance, I have to keep things neat and tidy, no big ugly boxes on display, so more research needed to significantly change things, and electronics keep improving, then there's 5G coming, so patience required.
I'm on firmer ground with a possible cartridge replacement, or speakers, or TT. Just remembered some Silver High Breed Avatar interconnects to try again.
Take care, he aware, enjoy your music.
Geoff

advertisement

Back