advertisement

Internet providers

Thanks Gav, been reading a lot about the various internet mobs recently, information overload:D

BTW the price increase from VM is almost exactly the same as EE's price increase in fact it's exactly the same and that's not including the £7 a month they're bumping up my monthly DD by.

Interesting how they hide behind the VM brand but Liberty Mobile is a US conglomerate

they own Giffgaff, and 50% of Tesco mobile both of whom who piggyback off the back of O2

I’m with sky getting 20mbps (fttc)

They have just dug up the road outside my house and ‘Swish Fibre’ have laid their cables… so now, Or very soon I can get 100mbps (fttp) installed for £35 a month…

Anybody have experience of FTTP by swish???

With the exception of Hull the broadband infrastructure is provided by BT via Openreach. It does this by opening its exchanges by unbundling the local loop (LLU) for use by other ISPs. Virgin Media also had an LLU agreement with Cable & Wireless and that opened up access to their cable network in London.

So your broadband is provided by BT via whichever ISP you choose. The quality of your service depends on the sales and delivery teams for each ISP and the state of infrastructure in your area.

To the OP if you can get a reliable and stable 19Mbps throughput this will cope with most that many people need. I am still on ADSL and my 18Mbps service gives me a solid 22Mbps download speed enough to run two HD TV channels simultaneously (my wife and I have separate TVs) plus umpteen other devices. You only need more if going to things such as ultra-high definition TV and online real-time gaming.

We have FTTP coming soon (the roads have seen lots of activity for months now) but for now we'll stay with a solid and reliable ADSL service.

DV

I’ve been with VM for about five years now and apart from the price increases every year and then having to jump through hoops the actual service is very good, we’re on their 125 plan but it’s expensive it was £33 a month but it’s going up to £40 next month then there’s another rise in April due.

Never really had loss of service though, maybe once or twice for a couple of hours at most so can’t really complain.

On topic

VM 1Gb service here, generally good but god help you if you need customer service and don't fit into their std set of questions

I've found Plusnet to be good.

They're part of the BT Group and sell pretty much the same packages as BT, but at lower prices and with better customer service.

I wouldn't touch Talk Talk, and I only want an internet services with no TV, so wouldn't touch Sky or VM either, at least not at the moment.

OR and City Fiber are creeping down my road. It will be interesting to see what happens to prices.

Swish Fibre have been digging up our road. Had the sales person round and its free for 6 months then £40 for the next 6 months. Sounds good until you realise its £40 from then to eternity

Each year, I switch between Virgin and Sky, picking up what their best deal is at the time - sometimes they offer to match the other, it's the only way to keep on top of the increases.

Sorry for the late reply, but got online a few days ago with Sky (they were the quickest to install). Speed is floating between 10 and 12 but that is twice the speed I had in France.

Many thanks for the replies.

Dave

advertisement

Back