advertisement

Internet providers

davcoll

pfm Member
As per the title, we are arriving back in the UK on Monday next to a rental property in North Lincs. and need to sort a provider.

I have done lot of Googling but it looks like a minefield in that some providers list a price then in the small print list a large price rise in April. Any recommendations of brands to avoid please.

The feed to our postcode is a maximum of 19 mbs but 1 or 2 providers only guaranteeing 8.

Thanks Dave

We've got Sky delivering our satellite signal (Sky Q gear in the house), landline talk/broadband, and a couple of mobiles. Can't recall offhand which package or cost, but apart from a couple of glitches, we've had no complaint about service or speed over the last.... five years or so?

We’re with sky for £19.50 a month. We were previously with Shell at a bit more They all seem to increase each year by 3.9% + inflation which is an absolute disgrace and makes me bloody angry (until I calm down). I’ve vowed to shop around or negotiate each time renewal comes up

As per the title, we are arriving back in the UK on Monday next to a rental property in North Lincs. and need to sort a provider.

I have done lot of Googling but it looks like a minefield in that some providers list a price then in the small print list a large price rise in April. Any recommendations of brands to avoid please.

The feed to our postcode is a maximum of 19 mbs but 1 or 2 providers only guaranteeing 8.

Thanks Dave

Does your statement mean you're renting?

If so, personally I'd look to see which mobile provider could offer you a decent 5G service, if you're in a 5G area?

Better that than being tied to a hardline BB service, IMO

O2 have just informed me of an RPI (not CPI or CPIH) price increase in April, 13.4%. I bet they're not paying their staff that!

For most everyone now the internet is the primary source of entertainment, work, communication and shopping.

Its one of the monthly utilities that’s actually worth the cost, infrastructure costs go up, running the servers using that little ingredient called electric has gone up.

pay up and shut up!

Avoid Talk Talk. I’ve never used them, but every person I know who has, has regretted it. Awful customer service means the sometimes lower price just isn’t worth it.

Sky here for a few years, no issues.
Previously with PlusNet, never again.

BT, only if I really really have to.

O2 have just informed me of an RPI (not CPI or CPIH) price increase in April, 13.4%.

Have a feeling, but could be wrong here, that 02 belong to Virgin, and VM, a.f.a. I. k., are the only media co. able to increase by RPI.

Avoid Talk Talk. I’ve never used them, but every person I know who has, has regretted it. Awful customer service means the sometimes lower price just isn’t worth it.

Sky here for a few years, no issues.
Previously with PlusNet, never again.

Talk Talk is a curate's egg; sister/bro.-in-law had them for years, got pissed off, changed to Plusnet and had a seizure; now back to Talk Talk (but Sky for TV). They've just been connected to fibre (City Fibre) which TT presumably now uses.

Have a feeling, but could be wrong here, that 02 belong to Virgin, and VM, a.f.a. I. k., are the only media co. able to increase by RPI.

Kind of, yes. It was Telefónica but now operates as a 50:50 joint venture with a Virgin company I think. The trouble is, it was the only provider that had an iffy, but usable signal here (and I'm not in the middle of nowhere by any means.)

Don't think O2 are owned by VM I'm sure someone mentioned this in the other thread, might be Vodafone who owns them now.

I've just had a letter from EE re our mobile phone contracts the increase is 14.3% ie CPI inflation plus 3.9% my son's monthly price rise is just under £4.

I'd second (or third) avoiding Talk Talk. (they changed their e-mail server settings yesterday, without informing customers beforehand.....got a call from my aging mum saying she couldn't send mails last night). FWIW I use Now broadband.

There's some good info on this site (and maybe useful for other things, utilities, mobiles etc):

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/

Don't think O2 are owned by VM I'm sure someone mentioned this in the other thread, might be Vodafone who owns them now.

I've just had a letter from EE re our mobile phone contracts the increase is 14.3% ie CPI inflation plus 3.9% my son's monthly price rise is just under £4.

Tis VM apparently

"In May 2020, Telefónica reached an agreement with Liberty Global to merge the company with Virgin Media. On 1 June 2021, O2 and Virgin Media formally merged to create Virgin Media O2 as a joint venture between Telefónica and Liberty Global.[13][14] and structured as a joint venture between Telefónica and Liberty Global.[15]"

Tis VM apparently

"In May 2020, Telefónica reached an agreement with Liberty Global to merge the company with Virgin Media. On 1 June 2021, O2 and Virgin Media formally merged to create Virgin Media O2 as a joint venture between Telefónica and Liberty Global.[13][14] and structured as a joint venture between Telefónica and Liberty Global.[15]"

Thanks Gav, been reading a lot about the various internet mobs recently, information overload:D

BTW the price increase from VM is almost exactly the same as EE's price increase in fact it's exactly the same and that's not including the £7 a month they're bumping up my monthly DD by.

advertisement

Back