advertisement

Internal phono board question.

puddlesplasher

pfm Member
I have an Ion Systems preamp and may need to use the internal phono on a new turntable just purchased but not sure if it’s an mm or mc. Is there any way of metering out the connections to determine what it is.
Thanks

I have an Ion Systems preamp and may need to use the internal phono on a new turntable just purchased but not sure if it’s an mm or mc. Is there any way of metering out the connections to determine what it is.
Thanks
Open up the preamp and follow the middle phono wire to the circuit board. Where the wire connects to the board there should be a resistor with coloured bands on it. If the third band is orange then its likely to be MM if its brown then more likely MC.

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
Very unlikely to be MC as standard, I reckon - especially if there is no labelling to say otherwise on the input sockets.

As above, connect to an MC cartridge as a test and if the volume is very low, then you have an MM circuit.

If you reveal what make and model of TT it is, that might be a tadge easier to deduct !
Speaking with my Pro-Ject cap on - they don't make or have made any TT with a built in MC Phono Stage, only MM.
To be honest I've never seen any TT with an MC Phono Stage (not to say there aren't any out there).

An MC cart will be very quiet if plugged into an MM input but an MM may not be all that loud if plugged into an MC input due to the low resistance loading generally used for MC carts.

My first post was supposed to read using my preamp internal phono with a new turntable but it seems to have confused some to think the turntable has an internal phono, sorry.

It’s an mm phono board in my amp. There was a few saying unusual to have an inbuilt phono in a turntable but just noticed Rega P1 plus has one.

Oh, right, yeah, there's a few TT out there that have a built in phono stage, as mentioned, they are "mostly" MM.

As mentioned earlier in the thread - can you not identify the TT or the cartridge - then you'll get an answer straight away.

Just curious. Why wouldn't you divulge the make and model of the TT - we could have answered your question in one post from that !!

advertisement

Back