advertisement

Interesting new Streamer - Eversolo DMP-A6

Sorry, what’s an APK? And ‘side loading’?
Apk is short for android package ie: App.

Side loading is the term used to install apps (apk) to an android device, for example not all devices give full access to the Google Play store, eg my nVidia Shield media player only shows their modified version of the Play Store app so you need to go find the Apk and then install it to the nVidia box via a downloader programme that IS available on nVidia.

However I think Radio Paradise might be available on the Eversolo anyway it just needs installed.

I've also seen someone has managed to install a YouTube app that shows the video on the screen too :)

Reactions: JTC
There are pages and pages on this particular streamer/dac on various forums but I’ve not read anything about the quality of the sound.
If anyone has one I would be interested to know, especially how it compares to a Bluesound Node or similar.

There are pages and pages on this particular streamer/dac on various forums but I’ve not read anything about the quality of the sound.
If anyone has one I would be interested to know, especially how it compares to a Bluesound Node or similar.
Steve Huff reckoned it better than the Node and comparable with the Lumin Mini. Videos on YouTube.

Steve Huff reckoned it better than the Node and comparable with the Lumin Mini. Videos on YouTube.
And on page 1 of this thread ;)

I've held off on buying one as there seems to be loads of issues with the firmware/software, looks like it's been rushed to the market with an 'Oh well, we'll fix that with an update' kind of attitude.

The latest update has a huge list of fixes on it :eek:

Now it's good that they're sorting things but they should really have been done before it was released ;)

What sort of guarantee does one get? Level of support and how long this stays out of landfill would be a concern.

If it's Roon Ready I'd guess that it should work glitch free for Roon users. Does anyone know if the problems people are reporting happen using it as a Roon endpoint?

You’re right, and I had seen that.
I just wanted to read more a few more comments about the quality of the sound rather than the tech speak.

What sort of guarantee does one get? Level of support and how long this stays out of landfill would be a concern.
Manufacturer warranty probably 1-2 years but extended warranty will be available from the retailer (at a cost)
If you’re concerned about support and longevity then best to await early adopters reports of any issues. This product would be ideal for me if it can rip CDs via external drive but I will wait till I know it’s reliable and the UI is generally regarded as “fine”.

And on page 1 of this thread ;)

I've held off on buying one as there seems to be loads of issues with the firmware/software, looks like it's been rushed to the market with an 'Oh well, we'll fix that with an update' kind of attitude.

The latest update has a huge list of fixes on it :eek:

Now it's good that they're sorting things but they should really have been done before it was released ;)

This generally seems to be the Chinese way, I don't think they know what "testing" actually is but use their customers as "free" testers / guinea pigs instead.
The WiiM mini was similar (although they have released a number of upgrades / improved it) and I used to fly drones commercially as a sideline, DJI who are the biggest drone manufacturer were awful for this.

This generally seems to be the Chinese way, I don't think they know what "testing" actually is but use their customers as "free" testers / guinea pigs instead.
The WiiM mini was similar (although they have released a number of upgrades / improved it) and I used to fly drones commercially as a sideline, DJI who are the biggest drone manufacturer were awful for this.

Nothing to do with the Chinese... its all part of the modern Agile development process and its intrinsic MVP (minimal viable product) philosophy.

Agile and MVP is endemic around the world as a software development method and is largely the reason I retired at 58 (after 42 years in software development) rather than work under (in my mind) a flawed development methodology, which I call Fragile not agile.

In the old days, software was designed and developed and released with a full set of capabilities (which is not to say it might not also be buggy) simply because the ability to magically send out an update to 1000's or millions of installed images, adding in missing functionality over the not yet invented internet didnt exist. Even after the arrival of the internet, pushing updates over 33k or 56k Modems wasnt viable. Adsl connections (8 Mbps to 4 Mbps downloads) also made it marginal.

Now, with speed to market of products considered the corner stone of a software development project (rather than functionality) we get the MVP... get something out the door then we can worry about fixing all the stupid bugs we missed and add in all the missing functionality later, with an update pushed over the internet.

A classic example of this is Windows. Versions prior to Win 8 were "fully formed" and subsequent updates to these versions were 99% about bug/security updates. From Win 8 but especially since Win10, Windows was not "fully formed" and has been a rolling set of updates that go way beyond bug/security updates. I am not dumping on Windows per se, just highlighting an example everyone can understand of where the Agile philosophy comes into play.

Also in the big commercial space (i.e. not tin pot audio playback software), it means that companies using an MVP attitude (i.e. one that doesnt take a long view of what the product ultimately should contain and provide that upfront) cause continued disruption to the stability of the existing customer base as they (the developers) have to hack their way through the existing code to try a shoehorn in features that should have been there from day one. The more you hack, the more bugs get introduced... both in the existing code base and the new.

Sure a waterfall development methodology was slow but Agile isnt the answer. For some reason we havent really managed to get something that is somewhere in the middle... simply because "first to market" is the overriding imperative in this connected world.

Peter

@PhilofCas Thanks for posting another very positive review which I have just watched. I will get round to watching the overview video when I can, but of course before I receive mine. :)

@PhilofCas Thanks for posting another very positive review which I have just watched. I will get round to watching the overview video when I can, but of course before I receive mine. :)
Spot on - It’ll be really interesting hearing from the likes of yourself on here when they start being received, all good feedback from the online reviewers, but it’ll be best to hear first hand from people we know on here.
What will it be replacing/compared to for yourself?

@PhilofCas It is really being purchased to take abroad, I already have an amplifier and speakers there, this will save me taking over mini pc, monitor and dac. I will be able to compare it with my Lumin U2 mini.

Has anyone actually got one of these yet? - not seen any mention in the wild and wanted to get some non-review reviews as it were

advertisement

Back