advertisement

Interesting, but unsurprising revelations via 30 Year Rule

If anyone had bothered to read beyond the first few lines, they would realise it is another non story.

The NCB was closing pits at a rate of 20 per year...the govt wanted that increased massively.........to 25 per year. Read the whole article.

And remember that Wilson and Callaghan had closed far more during the previous Labour administration. But don't let facts get in the way of another lefty Maggie-slagging fantasy.

I have read the whole article. However you cut it, it still proves that Thatcher lied. She wanted to cut Scargill down and she didn't give a toss how much misery she caused to get her way.

Labour closed collieries. Thatch closed an entire industry.

There you go, that's pretty much Thatcher's MO in one line. Now being copied by Cameron and his spivs.

Irrespective of right or left sympathies, I find it incomprehensible that anyone can gloss over the glaringly obvious psychopathy/personality disorder that was Thatcher.

Mull

I have read the whole article. However you cut it, it still proves that Thatcher lied. She wanted to cut Scargill down and she didn't give a toss how much misery she caused to get her way.

Labour closed collieries. Thatch closed an entire industry.

There you go, that's pretty much Thatcher's MO in one line. Now being copied by Cameron and his spivs.

Irrespective of right or left sympathies, I find it incomprehensible that anyone can gloss over the glaringly obvious psychopathy/personality disorder that was Thatcher.

Mull

she closed an entire industry?

Sorry, BBC, Scargill was wrong

'Scargill was right”, the BBC reported gleefully on Friday, after the release of papers covering the 1984 miners’ strike. But has any episode in recent history been more comprehensively mythologised?
When, at the time, I was asked to write about it by The Daily Telegraph, nothing surprised me more than to discover just how grotesquely inefficient many of our state-owned pits had become, only kept afloat on a sea of subsidies – figures no one had previously published.
The production cost of the Kent pits Arthur Scargill wanted to keep open was £112 a ton. That from modern pits in Nottinghamshire was £21 a ton. Within four years after Scargill’s strike collapsed, two-thirds of the pits had closed. Yet in 1988, total output, by only a third of the previous workforce, was back up to its pre-strike level of 100 million tons a year.

(Booker in today's Telegraph)

You'll be telling us next that the Soviets were paying union bosses so they could lay on a better Christmas party for their members....

she closed an entire industry?

Effectively, yes.

She made the decision that we didn't need coal, or could import what we needed more cheaply than we could mine it. Both dumb ideas to provide some sort of legitimacy for her real objective of getting her revenge on the NUM.

(Booker in today's Telegraph)

I don't believe his figures. The Telegraph is hardly an unbiased paper. There were many many idiotic figures put about at the time to justify why imported coal was cheaper, despite quality issues and the more obvious point that importing something you already have for the sake of a couple of quid 'paper' difference per ton (So long as you forget to factor in all the costs of throwing a whole community out of work) is plain idiocy.

It was certainly true that many pits in Notts. were more efficient. Mostly for geological reasons AIUI.

Which sort of begs the question as to why they are now all closed?

You'll be telling us next that the Soviets were paying union bosses so they could lay on a better Christmas party for their members....

I think you need to explain that.

Mull

Um, what? Blair is about as much a Friedman advocate as, well I am struggling to find a suitably farcical comparison. In fact I can't think of anyone who was much of a Friedmanite since about 1990, let alone a centre right social democrat like Blair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman

"His monetary theory influenced the Federal Reserve's response to the global financial crisis of 2007–08.[11] In the field of statistics, Friedman developed the sequential sampling method of analysis."

The privitisation of everything continues, most recently Royal Mail. As well as PPI which is perfectly in keeping with his views on small state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman

"His monetary theory influenced the Federal Reserve's response to the global financial crisis of 2007–08.[11] In the field of statistics, Friedman developed the sequential sampling method of analysis."

The privitisation of everything continues, most recently Royal Mail. As well as PPI which is perfectly in keeping with his views on small state.

I would respectfully disagree with Wikipedia! :) Some minor aspects of Friedman have been newly relevant since 2008 but only really in the sense that he's not as mental as the modern right and because, well, he's an important economist. But with the best will in the world it's hard to see much connection with Blair.

EDIT: See these articles from, when he died for more on Friedman's legacy:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/18/post657
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/16/post650

Quite right, but suffering from something akin to dyslexia I am the first to admit that I sometimes put too much faith in spell checkers and am often confused by what may be homophones.

I am proud to say I overcame my Spelling and Grammar OCD and just let that one.. ( and many more by many more) go.

I'm mellowing with age.

advertisement

Back