advertisement

Interesting article about Spotify

Well that was interesting. I have free Spotify on my laptop, but haven't used it for at least a year, so I didn't realise how it is structured. I did know streaming is manipulated and limited (Tidal has 3 of the 30 albums by one of my favourites, and none of another's), but not how pervasive it is. I mainly use Bandcamp and Qobuz (even more limited than Tidal but it was free!), and never make or use playlists so don't see a lot of this stuff. Thanks for posting it.

It just sounds like the radio model. Play the same old kak until the feeble accept. Play some new payola kak and scam the feeble that 'other people' are buying it.
It's been radio asskiss since the 50's [US] or 60's [UK].

i'm very much a latecomer to spotify, having only recently noticed that you can now get an account without needing a facebook account. i agree that it does encourage the 'switch it on and leave it running' approach, background muzak, with little thought about the original artists. i well remember the days when you'd buy an album (vinyl), study the sleeve artwork, notes etc and listen repeatedly to the tracks over the ensuing days and weeks. and this was in the days when i was an active musician gigging in london and roundabout. but i hope i still have enough respect for the music i hear on spotify to seek out and ultimately purchase any music i find i'm coming back to time and again. in the space of a couple of weeks it has already hugely increased my exposure to artists i'd never heard of, much as, for example, paradise radio did (and still does). so i think that probably those of us who have always treated music as an add-on to life will continue to do so, via spotify or otherwise. and for those of us for whom music is pretty central to our makeup, we'll continue to explore, listen to, analyse and purchase the music we like.

i'm not sure if your last sentence is meant to be a question or not...(?) but in the spirit of pedantry, yes, you're right, i did mean radio paradise, that wrecker of the thrifty life :)

I've never used the playlist thing, other than created my own.

I mainly us Spotify after I hear a good song on 6music and wonder what else they did was any good.

I don't agree with the article at all. The key to remember is that music business was a lucrative bubble based around control of a complicated distribution channel, with various monopolies or at the least tacit agreement to not rock the boat. The change came in the 90s with the cost of production dropping through commodity hardware being perfectly capable of the highest production quality when using DAWs and native DSP. The labels are pretty desperate to find an answer, but the reality is that their time has past, and music has returned to it's earlier roots of being live, and bands not making much for their efforts, which is really the natural order of things.

Trying to blame spotify/streaming for all of this is laughable.

Harsh, the digital revolution slapped them in the face and Spotify was a key player in the digital revolution. If not spotify, it would have been something else, mind.

There is one other strand to this, for me at least. At the same time, music seems to have stopped progressing. All the sounds are familiar, all genres are current, everything has fragmented to the point where a big mainstream movement is never going to happen any more.

It's not just the industry that seems at risk but progressive pop and rock also.

Thankfully my tastes are rather catholic so I seem to be able to avoid the quagmire of samey musak.

advertisement

Back