advertisement

Interest check: usb 3.0 isolator

sq225917

Bit of this, bit of that
Just a quick check, I'm likely going to make one of these for myself. Fully usb 3.0 compatible, only the tiniest % slower than no isolator on a right mark usb 3.0 ssd data transfer test. Will have the ability to have bus power on either side of the isolator or optional regs on either side of the bus.

Id probably just use an lt3045 on the receiving side of the isolator, no need for more than 500mA if its just plugging into a dac.

Any takers, no idea of price, it'll probably require pcb level assembly as the isolator requires flowing. Its not a reclocker, thats pointless with a good dac.

Its two fold, to electrically isolate the receiving device from the source completely, and to allow use of a perfect 5v supply that can deliver more current than the downstream device provides, if required.

Ah, I can see the first use for bench testing purposes and the second very useful indeed. I'll keep an eye on this....

I know nothing about the rpi usb power requirements other than it can come via USB socket. There's better ways to do that than with this, just build a kick ass linear supply. I assume the pi usb power input isn't for signal?

Last edited:
For me it would be price dependent, which I assume depends on quantity. Very much chicken and egg. I'll bookmark as well.

Might be very interested, but why USB 3.0?

I cannot remember seeing any DAC's with USB 3.0 interfaces.

P.S. 500mA would not cut muster for RPi, linear PSU is the way to go. RPi may ask for up to 2.5A depending on HATs and accessories.

advertisement

Back