advertisement

Integrated valve amp for ESL988's

I suggest a Prima Luna integrated. Their previous TOTL model was the Dialogue Premium HP, which sold new for $4399; the Dialogue Premium listed for $3399. The Prologue Premium listed for right around 2400 USD and the Prologue Classic about 1800. I have heard the Dialogue Premium with Quad 2805s and it was superb. I would think any of the above listed integrateds would be a good place to start. Obviously, his choice will depend on availability in the used market. Prima Luna has a new series, the EVO. Models are numbered as 100, 200, 300 and 400 in roughly corresponding order in the lineup. Prices for the EVO series are higher than the previous series. Reviews and user comments for the Prima Luna stuff are pretty enthusiastic.

Several years ago I had a Dialogue with a pair of 63s. It was lovely with orchestral and choral music; until things got going a bit, and then all kinds of distorsion set in. Even a church choir soprano solo could set it off. The Dialogue went, replaced with a Quad 606II and now, Primare 30.2.

You're comparing apple to pears; they're two entirely different animals. ESLs were developed with valved amps, so why would they be incompatible?

E.A.R. have made a number of integrateds; all very nice too, and completely synergistic with Quad ESLs. T.de P. developed various models, plus the 509s which I have powering my 2905s , with the 63. Reliable, run comparatively cool and have access to cheap servicing in Cambridgeshire. Also (just) within budget.

My friend runs the 899 int'd with his 2812 and previously 63.
T de P also designed some of the current Quad valve amps.

ESL57 were designed to be run with Quad valve amps, but the 33/303 amp was designed to improve on the valve amps.

There are a lot of amps that work well with Quad ESLs as a lot of people already mentioned above. I run my Quad ESL 57s with an EAR 516 (PL508 output valves) and the sound is controlled and quite neutral. Naim Nait 2 should be great with Quad ESL 57s but of course your brother will need to listen himself. I am sure it will be quite an interesting journey to listen to different solid state and valve amps with his Quad ESL 988s. I envy him.

If it's not breaking any rules I have a Ming Da Dynasty Cadenza with TungSols for the 4 drivers that I'd probably let go....

but the 33/303 amp was designed to improve on the valve amps.

The original Quad amp was fine, but the pre. was awful. Don't know about the 33 (?) but its successor, the 42 (?) was also dire. I bought one new in the early eighties and it was very dull with my RCA monoblocs (similar to the original Quad. It wasn't better with my neighbour's Musical Fidelity 150 mono's, either but he liked the variable control functions so he bought it from me.

I run EAR 899 with esl2805,very nice combo and upgradable in future.It can be used as a integrated,mono or stereo poweramp,balansed or unbalanced...very versatile.Soundwice they are matched perfect

advertisement

Back