advertisement

Integrated, power amp or monoblocks?

The Finisher

Must have shot a robin
Ok so I recently replaced my main systems amplification which comprised of :
Counterpoint sa-3.1 valve preamp
A pair of firebottle hybrid monoblocks
I replaced this with my Marantz pm4 which was being used in my second system, buy doing so I’m enjoying the sq once again , so having sold the monoblocks I’m now left with the lovely counterpoint pre , should I look for another pair of mono’s or a power amp for it OR flog the counterpoint and get another nice class A ( I like class A ) integrated ?

My speakers are Tannoy super red monitor 12x which I’m more than happy with .
I’m using a Jolida glass fx iii dac, again I’m very happy with that too , I stream my music and internet radio from a Sony PS4 ( which I may replace with a bluesound node 2i).

The circuit topology etc is what's important. Whether that circuitry is housed within integrated, power amp or monoblocks is largely irrelevant to anything beyond having the space to house big transformers and heatsinks, being able to pick it up or a two man lift etc. To Nth degree pedantic-ness, monoblocks make it easy to optimise the grounding scheme and integrated's can have a theoretical advantage that the power amp, line stage and phono stage are all at one earth equipotential and in the same screened box with the shortest possible connections between them etc... however the fact is that most manufacturers will save their best circuitry for their pre-power separates and if they have an even better power amp circuit up their sleeves they may well hold it back for their flag-ship monoblocks.

I would be tempted to try a Sugden A21 integrated, but I am no expert on Tannoys.

The Quad 909 is not built like a tank, it’s tougher than a tank ! Especially if it’s made in UK.
The other thing I really like about it is that it produces a real non fatiguing sound no matter what you feed it with IMO.
If you like the sound, this will be the last amp you’ll ever buy.

advertisement

Back