advertisement

Integrated amp with tone controls - recommendations?

It replaced a McIntosh valve integrated I had briefly. It was a stunning amp but went wrong on me so I traded it once it was repaired and serviced (as I no longer trusted it). The Lux is smooth but not soft, though I think a lot will depend on what your preferences are. I find it nearly perfect, though in my room I would like a tiny bit more sparkle in top-end extension. Almost certainly a facet of my carpeted and sofa’d room. Sound did change a bit - not even sure I’m even at 100hrs myself since I only turn it on when listening, so cumulative hours probably quite low since getting it in late October.
Top end is where I'm disappointed, maybe Class A isn't for me, possibly the Cadenza Bronze isn't helping as it's vinyl that is most noticeable as being too cosy, have a new to me pre owned DAC arriving tomorrow, I had a loaner of the demo unit into the 590 last weekend so it's not a surprise, I'll give it another week or so then decide.

Top end is where I'm disappointed, maybe Class A isn't for me, possibly the Cadenza Bronze isn't helping as it's vinyl that is most noticeable as being too cosy, have a new to me pre owned DAC arriving tomorrow, I had a loaner of the demo unit into the 590 last weekend so it's not a surprise, I'll give it another week or so then decide.
I don’t have experience of the Luxman class A designs, but the Accuphase 650 wasn’t disappointing at the top end.

Yeah, it probably depends on what you were used to from your previous amp. A lot of systems are too bright in the top end, and - like sugar or salt - that becomes a bit of an addiction. In the same way, going to a more neutral, transparent amp (which the Lux definitely is) might feel like it’s lacking something. It has and is improving all the time in my system, or maybe it’s me that’s adjusting :)

My experience with the brand Accuphase since 1981, which I have had owned 4-5 P300's for near 40 years. The P300 is the least expensive Accuphase Amp one can purchase. Two lead electronic engineers at Kenwood in Japan wanted to have the highest audio available line to the consumer; the cost would not be an issue. Kenwood first thought it was a good idea, then decided to back out. The two engineers first units had Kensonic (Kenwood parent company) and the Accuphase name, which was more the line, but then it was too late; too many manufactured units all ready to ship. Teac, a good company in the day, agreed to be their distributor in the United States, but many more sold in Japan and Europe. These are real abundant on eBay now. In the United States, boxes would have Teac, Kensonic, and Accuphase on them, salespeople did not know what was going on, and many stores refused the line for the price point was above McIntosh, who was well-positioned for years as ultra high end. The P300 sold like crazy after people started hearing it and word caught on. Though Kenwood said no to the super high end, Accuphase is still going since the early seventies with the same mission (and same high prices). I have had and even use MacIntosh equipment now; the build quality is not, in my opinion, where it was years ago. Companies make decisions for profits, though, and sometimes who need a solid forged knob?
Everything about Accuphase has the feel, and materials inside and outside the chassis are just top-notch. They will outlive you. I can't afford their new equipment and usually never buy new audio equipment anyway; too much great stuff available used. I have taken a few P300's into shops mainly for cleaning. Alpha Tech in St. Louis, Listen Up in Denver. Anytime I take an Accuphase into a shop, they go on and on about the build quality and Listen Up back in the 1990s said they waited a couple of extra days to call me for they loved listening to it the shop. Though rated at 150w/channel, bench tests have over 180. Great piece to pick up even now used, comparable sounding new I would estimate would put you in the area of $5 and %10K for equivalent performance. THD is .01, what an amp.
I just thought I would pass on some excellent equipment that you can get on the used market you're never going to see in many Audio Shops and surely not Best Buy. Good to see on this board, many are having a similar experience with Accuphase's first amp. Luxman, though it sounds German, has a much longer history as a high end brand in Japan than Accuphase. Have not heard one to date but seems like people are very happy with their products. Their price points for used equipment are far lower than Accuphase though, with numerous amps available for under $1000. Not quite as old as my Avatar, buy a movie hero to me and his jazz piano playing.

I now have a Luxman amp with tone controls ( I used to have all the Naim kit years ago). In the main I don't use them , but when I have a problematic recording such as the live album on Pink Floyd Umma Gumma (where the top end has to be wound up as its non existent) it makes things listenable. No tone controls is the correct concept in a perfect world...but it isn't a perfect world in the recording industry and the Tone Controls are your "Get out of Jail card" and more and more people are beginning to realise this. With Hi end amps like Luxman and Accuphase to name just two...with Tone Controls switched out there is no problem anyway. I find if I set the controls at Flat then listen and swith them in and out , I can hear no difference. Its pretty much a myth like many others. There is a lot of B.S in Hi Fi so be wary.

I'd not agree there. There is lot's of BS in HiFi, but if I set 'line flat' on my Luxman, I can clearly hear a difference to when the tone controls are switched into the circuit, but set 'flat'. Quite noticeable.

I'd not agree there. There is lot's of BS in HiFi, but if I set 'line flat' on my Luxman, I can clearly hear a difference to when the tone controls are switched into the circuit, but set 'flat'. Quite noticeable.
I can’t. If there’s a difference, my ears aren’t good enough to hear it. But then, I listen with the bypass unless I need the tone controls, at which point they won’t be set flat…

I have been experimenting with this today. Switching from Tone in to Tone out , yes there is a difference. It shuts in very slightly , a little less air there. If I were to listen my system not knowing weather they were in or out I am sure I would not be able to tell you which way they were switched, its only by doing the A/B test that it shows up as it is very subtle on an amp of this grade....I wouldnt worry about it. As I said most of the listening is switched out and only there for the bad recording/situation where it wouldn't really make things much worse would it! So ...best of both worlds.

I might try again myself. Could be I’ve never really listened that hard for a difference…

advertisement

Back