advertisement

Integrated amp with tone controls - recommendations?

If this was a thread asking for wine recommendations, would you post a reply telling the OP that you're teetotal?
If you did not have so much time on your hands doubt very much you would have posted such nonsense. Here was me thinking the thread was about amps with tone controls. Oh yea I have one but don't use the tone controls . Now you can go back to your wine thread .

OP here.

Each to his own, but my take on things is as follows:

Very old recordings certainly could use a little tweak in the EQ - eg Robert Johnson's blues recordings from the 1930s

Even in modern times, sometimes the sound that came out of the studio is not even what the artist/band intended! I have had many musicians tell me this, eg one artist told me when buying his CD at a gig "you will have to turn down the bass on this CD to make it listenable, they messed up this recording good and proper!".

You can listen to different albums by the same artist/band and notice striking differences to the sound balance - brighter, thinner, warmer, more bass etc. Exact same band but different recording studio, different producer, different sound engineers, different mastering etc etc. Every step changing things slightly - and not always in the direction the actual artist would want it! You might say "well that is what the engineer intended to do", but surely it is more important that it reflects what the artist wanted it to sound like?

And then there is the argument that, as a consumer of the music, you have the right to listen to the sound as you yourself wish to hear it. You may absolutely love the music/songs, but really hate the way it's recorded. You still want to listen to the music, but need to tweak the EQ to make it listenable. The artist would rather you bought his music and did that, than not to buy the music.

Perhaps other people only listen to modern recordings by Ed Sheeran and Adele. I have over 3000 CDs spanning recordings from the 1930s to present, and nearly every music genre under the sun, including recordings done on a shoestring by virtually unknown acts. There is a huge variation in quality and balance in the sound of the finished recording. For me personally, I like to be able to tweak the EQ if I feel the need to. But the rest of the time, leave it flat.

Lots of people who shun tone controls on amps change their cables (interconnects and speaker cables) to change the sound of their system - they are really just doing the same thing!

A final point. Some of we older music & hifi fans have some age-related hearing degradation whereby we do not hear the higher frequencies as well as we used to. It's good to be able to give the treble/highs a small uplift to compensate if need be!

Totally agree , very well said .

OP here with an update.

I never did find an amp sounding like a Naim amp, but with tone controls. I bought my Naim Supernait 2 and added a Schiit Loki Tone Controller. I find the Loki works really well with very little SQ degradation and I enjoy the Naim sound. I added a TeddyCap Power Supply and that improved SQ a bit more.

Now a year or more later - I am thinking of upgrading the amp. Budget in the bracket £5k-£10k, so I will now be going to separate pre- and power-amps.

I am thinking of sticking with Naim - as I like the lively presentation, so would have to still use the Schiit Loki for EQ. I am thinking of swapping the Supernait 2 for a Naim NAC 282 pre-amp with a Naim NAP 250DR power amp. Would also keep the TeddyCap to power the NAC 282.

Having said that, I am still interested in hearing about any other amp options in the £5k-£10k range, with tone controls - if anyone has any recommendations!

A left field suggestion - Lyngdorf TDAI 1120.

Shape the sound to your heart's content.

I'm saving up for one as I type - Game changer.

OP here with an update.

I never did find an amp sounding like a Naim amp, but with tone controls. I bought my Naim Supernait 2 and added a Schiit Loki Tone Controller. I find the Loki works really well with very little SQ degradation and I enjoy the Naim sound. I added a TeddyCap Power Supply and that improved SQ a bit more.

Now a year or more later - I am thinking of upgrading the amp. Budget in the bracket £5k-£10k, so I will now be going to separate pre- and power-amps.

I am thinking of sticking with Naim - as I like the lively presentation, so would have to still use the Schiit Loki for EQ. I am thinking of swapping the Supernait 2 for a Naim NAC 282 pre-amp with a Naim NAP 250DR power amp. Would also keep the TeddyCap to power the NAC 282.

Having said that, I am still interested in hearing about any other amp options in the £5k-£10k range, with tone controls - if anyone has any recommendations!
a friend of mine has bought a luxman 507 because it has tone controls and balance . he loves it

Once beyond the SN level, the Naim value proposition takes a major dive, IMO.

Many former Naim owners have moved to Accuphase. I would suggest you take a look at an E 380 or even E 480.

Another vote for the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400. Stunning amplifier that has all the features could you ever need and extremely flexible. We've done quite a number of home trials on these amplifiers and the trial has always converted to a firm order. RoomPerfect is that good.

I enjoyed my Yamaha A-S3000 which had tone controls. Didn't use them after an initial experiment. Liked the fact they were bypassed when at 12 o'clock

OP here with an update.

The Loki is a nice unit and offers finer control than usually found on amplifiers.
It isn't sophisticated enough for room correction but perfectly good enough for tweaking balance and tonality.

OP here with an update...

Thats a hell lot of money for amps with added tone controls.
I understand. you WANT those controls.

But I would think alternative if I had your query, not that I am experienced, so a pinch of salt.., what about using a different setup for those difficult records/CD/Vinyl or whatever you play ?

One of the useful tone control preamps out there are old Quad 34 or 44.
Sure you could add a Quad power amp and some decent speakers, still making room for a Naim 250 based setup within your budget.
Or perhaps even run the Quad 34 signal into a line input on a Nac 282, running another source silmoustanely ?

Once beyond the SN level, the Naim value proposition takes a major dive, IMO.

Many former Naim owners have moved to Accuphase. I would suggest you take a look at an E 380 or even E 480.
I’m currently listening to a new system. Well, it sounds like a new system, but the only new thing is the Accuphase 480 I installed earlier today. I’m listening to Chick Corea - Trilogy, and it is stunning. Previously it was just ‘great’, but the musicianship just went up to another level.

I’m very pleased with the Luxman L590AX-II which has extremely well executed tone controls and a great in-built MC phono stage. I’ve taken to using the loudness facility at lower levels since that’s where I tend to find it’s most needed, and switch back to ‘line straight’ at higher volumes. Not a cheap amp but I cannot really find anything about it to criticise- it’s very, very good.

I’m very pleased with the Luxman L590AX-II which has extremely well executed tone controls and a great in-built MC phono stage. I’ve taken to using the loudness facility at lower levels since that’s where I tend to find it’s most needed, and switch back to ‘line straight’ at higher volumes. Not a cheap amp but I cannot really find anything about it to criticise- it’s very, very good.
Yes,that’s exactly what the loudness function is intended for, use when listening quietly.

What amp did the Lux replace and what speakers are you using? I've had mine a week today, pinged the dealer to let him know I wasn't sure about it - it's sounding a bit too Lush/Smooth/Soft to me and he said it needed a 100 hour burn in, have a feeling that's just BS did yours change sound?

I’m currently listening to a new system. Well, it sounds like a new system, but the only new thing is the Accuphase 480 I installed earlier today. I’m listening to Chick Corea - Trilogy, and it is stunning. Previously it was just ‘great’, but the musicianship just went up to another level.

Welcome to the Accuphase owner's club! I have an E 270, which suits me and my system best; it's a great sounding amp that is a joy to use and to listen to. Very flexible, as well.

I don't know what you have as a source, but do try the DAC 50 board in your E 480 if you can. I've compared it against a few external DACs and they fell a way short of the DAC 50. Tempted by a DC37 though!

Chick Corea? Musical mega talent, without doubt. Just been listening to 'Chinese Butterfly'. Belter of a piece of music; Steve Gadd, as ever, gives it a real edge.

It’s my second time Accuphase ownership. Had an E213 for a few years, until that got replaced by an Albarry pre/monoblock combo. The 480 is just in a different league. :):)

Source is a dCS Puccini/U-Clock. I do love the Accuphase CD/SACD players, like the DP 570, if I ever replace the Puccini that’d probably be what for.

What amp did the Lux replace and what speakers are you using? I've had mine a week today, pinged the dealer to let him know I wasn't sure about it - it's sounding a bit too Lush/Smooth/Soft to me and he said it needed a 100 hour burn in, have a feeling that's just BS did yours change sound?
It replaced a McIntosh valve integrated I had briefly. It was a stunning amp but went wrong on me so I traded it once it was repaired and serviced (as I no longer trusted it). The Lux is smooth but not soft, though I think a lot will depend on what your preferences are. I find it nearly perfect, though in my room I would like a tiny bit more sparkle in top-end extension. Almost certainly a facet of my carpeted and sofa’d room. Sound did change a bit - not even sure I’m even at 100hrs myself since I only turn it on when listening, so cumulative hours probably quite low since getting it in late October.

advertisement

Back