advertisement

Integrated amp with tone controls - recommendations?

Denon PMA-2500NE or if you don't mind a bit older, the PMA-2000AE.
Older still like the Sony TA-F770ES could be worth a look, or Accuphase as mentioned too.
Another vote for the TA-F770ES. I picked one up on German eBay for £240 in VGC a few months ago, and I’m beginning to realize it was something of a bargain. I should have phrased that differently, picking one up is the one thing you can’t do.

Or perhaps buy the amp you like the sound of and use something like a Musical Fidelity X-tone with it?
Well the Musical Fidelity X-Tone does at least have fairly sensible, user-selectable turnover frequencies - unlike the Schiit Loki. +12dB at 20Hz? How stupid is that??

Thanks everybody for the useful replies, which I have read carefully and looked up the recommendations.

Firstly, I don't really want to go down the road of esoteric, valve, or vintage amps. Also, some of the options mentioned will not give me the lively presentation (a la Supernait-2) that I am looking for (eg Accuphase).

The X-tone or Loki tone control units might be interesting, but there is no Tape Loop on a Naim Supernait-2. I know I could fit a tone controller between CD player and amp, but that would not facilitate tone control on my other amp inputs (tuner, DVD player, TV receiver etc).

So I think my revised question is this:

Of the following modern integrated amps with tone controls, which will give me a lively sound presentation, similar to Naim Supernait-2?

- Rotel RA-1572 (or RA-1592)
- Creek Evolution 100A
- Yamaha A-S1100 (or A-S2100)
- Nad C375BEE
- Cambridge Audio Azur 851A*

*this is a model I have just stumbled across, with tone controls

I know I should ideally demo my shortlisted amps, but I live in an area with few hifi shops and it is hard to find the models I am interested in for A/B comparisons with my own CD player and speakers!

the rotel 1572 is incredible vfm , i have heard it a few times . looks beautiful and when i have heard with B&W it sounded good

Or perhaps buy the amp you like the sound of and use something like a Musical Fidelity X-tone with it?

or a preamp. This sounds more sensible than buying an Accuphase or indeed anything else that you haven't heard and may not like and cannot return.

I have the Rotel RA1570, predecessor to the 1572/1592. I took a punt on it because I wanted a new amp and the built in DAC solved a connectivity issue I had with my old amp. It was only supposed to be a stop gap but 3 years later I still have it and feel no need to replace it. Can’t comment on how lively it sounds compared to a Supernait 2 because I haven’t heard that amp. IMO is sounds better than the first Supernait which I have heard a couple of times.

I’ve never used the tone controls.

Cheers BB

Advance Acoustic - great amps , I have 2. Tone controls & balance control all adjustable from your favourite armchair via remote control. Otherwise forget Naim and do yourself a favour and go for Accuphase.

Mike

If you like the sound of your current amplifier get a graphic equaliser and put it between the Pre Amp Output and Power Amp Inputs on the amplifier. Something like a BSS966 is quite cheap used as the sound companies turn to digital systems.

Well if nothing else comes of this thread, you have at least introduced to to another dealer who would appear to sell decent Pre-owned kit, so ta for that. Lovely easy to navigate website too. I can think of some other HiFi companies that should take note!
Pleasure! Really good people to deal with too, with a nice location and listening room.

advertisement

Back