advertisement

Insurance claim.

If you've accidental damage cover, then carry on. Many have indeed claimed successfully. Your particular policy/company will determine the amount they might pay out.

Possibly not relevant to today, but I claimed for a knackered Shiraz (no slouch, ££££ wise) on my audio-visual section of contents (nearly always accidental damage on this regardless of other contents). Was told at the time, if claim under a grand, there shouldn't be any premium repercussions. In my case there wasn't but this was the nineties.

If a cheap cart., I wouldn't bother. PX it for sth better. Few insurance company claims departments had any idea of what a cart. was, let alone anything about it. I don't intend to test this theory's relevance today, as I've two 4K+ cart's. ;)

Possibly not relevant to today, but I claimed for a knackered Shiraz (no slouch, ££££ wise) on my audio-visual section of contents (nearly always accidental damage on this regardless of other contents). Was told at the time, if claim under a grand, there shouldn't be any premium repercussions. In my case there wasn't but this was the nineties.

If a cheap cart., I wouldn't bother. PX it for sth better. Few insurance company claims departments had any idea of what a cart. was, let alone anything about it. I don't intend to test this theory's relevance today, as I've two 4K+ cart's. ;)

That mirrors my own experience when O tried to claim for an MC Rohmann that I’d pinged, years ago. They kept trying to offer me replacements for a £1000 hifi system. It took a few weeks and quite a few calls for them to get the message that it was, “A thousand pounds for just the tip of a record player, sir?!” We got there in the end.

Many years ago around 1995 I claimed for a new Asak that my toddler daughter had trashed.
An assessor came round, looked at my Linn and asked is it this that is damaged, pointing to my Syrinx PU3.
I put him right and they paid up.
I don’t remember the subsequent premiums being particularly badly hit.

You need to check what your limits are as usually there are limits in each category of household item. I had to specify each component in my system that was over their limit to get them covered.

Claimed for a Troika when my daughter damaged it approx 20 years ago. The insurers wanted a written report from my Linn dealer. They paid a claim to cover what was then the current top of the range cartridge as the Troika was discontinued. They would only pay the money directly to the dealer but couldn’t care less what I spent it on.

Yes, I successfully did for my Lyra Kleos. The insurance co asked for pictures & details etc but paid out quickly & with hardly any hassle.

You need to factor in the first x number of pounds they don’t pay of any claim.

Good point; the excess (usually lowish, though; £50 to £100?).

You need to check what your limits are as usually there are limits in each category of household item. I had to specify each component in my system that was over their limit to get them covered.

Generally (unless things have changed), you only set values for individual items as 'valuables'. The A-V section doesn't usually need any assessment of individual value. However, your overall cover must be sufficient to contain anything of higher value, so you couldn't have, e.g. £100K's worth of cover and £75K's worth is A-V. It's about proportion.

My cover is unlimited but affordable. Other companies are starting to do this. Sensible as how on Earth can one sensibly value everything in a dwelling at 'new for old' valuations?

Like a few others i suffered a trashed MC due to toddler damage, chap came out from the insurance company and looked at it, fair enough he said he had never seen anything like it but they paid up in full, no problem, it was a new for old policy with accidental damage cover.

Never claim in insurance, half the time the claim fails and as mentioned it puts up your premium

What's the point of insurance then?

I don't think it's a good idea to throw trivial claims in all the time but in my experience they don't mind, and expect, the occasional reasonable claim. We claimed for fire damage to a shed last year and the waved the excess because we'd never claimed before. That actually isn't true, we have claimed before. It must simply be long enough ago that it didn't show on their system.

You add up what you pay in premiums on your house insurance, it's a lot of money. A reasonable claim now and then is not going to upset them.

I claimed once and smiled when the young claims handler had no idea what a record player was...

I remember getting insurance for my first car, a 1.3 Vauxhall Astra. Before the net existed and you had to actually go to an insurance office. I stood there contemplating my £600 premium, remember this was thirty-five years ago, and asking the woman behind the counter 'Why is it so expensive for a young guy like me to insure an ordinary little car?' She looked up, shrugged and said 'You crash them'.

Hurt and insulted by this presumptuous slight, I felt rather silly when talking to her again less than two weeks later while my car was being separated from a bent lamppost.

What's the point of insurance then?

I don't think it's a good idea to throw trivial claims in all the time but in my experience they don't mind, and expect, the occasional reasonable claim. We claimed for fire damage to a shed last year and the waved the excess because we'd never claimed before. That actually isn't true, we have claimed before. It must simply be long enough ago that it didn't show on their system.

You add up what you pay in premiums on your house insurance, it's a lot of money. A reasonable claim now and then is not going to upset them.

it is when you have a lot of policies !!!

advertisement

Back