advertisement

Instant music collection for £100..

I’d go for a look if you are local, but usually this sort of thing turns out to be a dealer/shop’s reject pile. If there was good stuff there I bet they’d post more pictures and auction it on eBay.

Why does every pile of second-hand CDs for sale include at least one copy of White Ladder by David Gray? I think I saw three on the racks of the hospice shop at my local tip.

Last time I went to look at something like this around here (retirement land) it was for a couple of boxes of records (about 100) advertised for £100, several years ago now.
Arrived, had a quick flick through, nice chat and paid up and left very happy. Got offered a nice Thorens TD150 Mk2 for £50 too, but could not justify it (wife would murder me) and suggested it was worth a lot more than that and they should put it on eBay collection only, they might be pleasantly surprised.
Vinyl boxes included first press Mezzanine, several James Taylors, Super Negro Bantous, Mule Variations and much more...all minty.

But the CD photo above does not appeal much..who knows though...

@MB, I hadn't listened to much David Gray (other than Babylon!), but really like Late Night Radio (heard on Radio Paradise) - great song, maybe I'll find that in one of the boxes...;):

...IF I go take a look...o_O

@MB, I hadn't listened to much David Gray (other than Babylon!), but really like Late Night Radio (heard on Radio Paradise) - great song, maybe I'll find that in one of the boxes...;):
TBH I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anything by him, it’s just odd how ubiquitous White Ladder is in collections of CDs for sale. It reminds me of the line from Good Omens that any cassette tape left in a car glovebox for long enough will eventually turn into Queen’s Greatest Hits.

I’ve got a shed full...

As the owner of no compilations save for a few label round-ups, I might’ve raised an eyebrow the time I opened a link to a mid-level Naim owner’s music collection... maybe a couple of thousand CDs listed, virtually all of them Even More Now That’s What I Call The Best Ever Smooth Classical Driving Rock Anthems Vol. 7 kind of thing.

As the owner of no compilations save for a few label round-ups, I might’ve raised an eyebrow the time I opened a link to a mid-level Naim owner’s music collection... maybe a couple of thousand CDs listed, virtually all of them Even More Now That’s What I Call The Best Ever Smooth Classical Driving Rock Anthems Vol. 7 kind of thing.

Now, why doesn't that surprise me. :D

It's the CD equivalent of Frampton Comes Alive.

Frampton Comes Alive and much of its ilk vanished from the £1 bins long, long ago. A decade or more ago one could easily find mint first pressings all day long, but it will a £10 record in EX/EX or above now.

You can all but guarantee many folk like me will have already picked it to the bones and 98% of what’s left is the ‘Classical Gold’, ‘My favourite Beethoven overtures’, ‘Easy Mozart’ and endless free magazine discs. I’ve got a shed full of that crap!

Looking at the photos I can see a big run of Naxos CDs. As a casual classical listener I seem to have hoovered up quite a bit of Naxos in recent years.

Because they're dirt cheap to start with, and have (as far as I can tell) stayed in print, they're never going to be worth anything but include plenty of enjoyable recordings - from obscure medieval music to Xenia Pestova playing Cage.

You can all but guarantee many folk like me will have already picked it to the bones and 98% of what’s left is the ‘Classical Gold’, ‘My favourite Beethoven overtures’, ‘Easy Mozart’ and endless free magazine discs. I’ve got a shed full of that crap!

I just noticed the tub full of discs from Reader's Digest, a name synonymous with fine recordings.

advertisement

Back