advertisement

Instant hot water taps

I was at a mates house when he was having a party and scalded myself on his instand booling water tap. It bastard well hurt. Several people did the same thing that night, and he said visitors often get it wrong. An unnecessary and dangerous product.
YMMV.

I have no personal experience of these things, so quite happy to be told why I'm wrong, but it seems to me that anything capable of delivering virtually instantaneous and copious volumes of water at anything approaching 100 C through the kitchen tap is inherently dangerous and to be avoided at all costs. How do you stop children, old people, daft people, people who just don't know about it, scalding themselves? At least with a boiling kettle you, mostly, know what's happening . What problems are these contraptions addressing I wonder?

Edit: just seen @Alvarado 's post above and no, my YMMV doesn't V at all! :)

We have a Quooker. It is hot water only as sparkling and chilled weren't available when we installed it (which I doubt we would have bothered with anyway). In the two years it has been installed it has never failed and given that you need to double click the tap before turning it on nobody has managed to scald themselves. Excellent device which I thoroughly recommend

Reactions: MVJ
We have a Quooker. It is hot water only as sparkling and chilled weren't available when we installed it (which I doubt we would have bothered with anyway). In the two years it has been installed it has never failed and given that you need to double click the tap before turning it on nobody has managed to scald themselves. Excellent device which I thoroughly recommend
Do you not have any children or grandchildren ? Mine all know how to double click just about anything. It's what you do when one click doesn't work.

Do you not have any children or grandchildren ? Mine all know how to double click just about anything. It's what you do when one click doesn't work.
No grandchildren. The kids all are clever enough to realise that twisting the tap yields cold to hold water depending on where the mixer is at. Double clicking and then twisting the tap yields boiling water after about 2 seconds. You'll need to be fairly careless to scald yourself, but having said that, you can scald yourself pretty easily with a kettle or a pan of boiling water too unless you keep your wits about you.

Sounds extremely dangerous to me. 100degC in a tap next/near to normal taps? Make a mistake and it's A&E for you. These devices are fads imo; what's wrong with a decent kettle? We use a nice Bosch one, which will also heat just to 80 or 90, if the drink requires. Very quick.

my thoughts too however they say
Boiling water, straight from the tap. Is that safe?‘ That’s the most frequently asked question about Quooker. Our response is that the Quooker is the safest choice for every household.

In 2020, the Dutch Burns Foundation conducted research into the use of boiling water taps and the risk of burns. The study concluded that the boiling water tap as a replacement for the kettle, appears to reduce the risk of a burn accident. You can download the research report at the bottom of this page.

To further decrease the risk of burns, the Quooker taps are equipped with a couple of subtle features. For example, they have a rotatable spout that you can aim precisely, for example when you are filling a jug or a pan. The spout is well insulated in all models, meaning that you won’t run the risk of burning yourself after operating the Quooker.

As a child, I once knocked over a pot of boiling water on the stove and it splashed on top of me. I had really bad burns all over my chest. That’s not going to happen with our boys! They can’t knock a Quooker over, but it could happen with a kettle.’

Reading the comments here have persuaded me not to get one.. I have kids and if the younger ones watch and see me or their mother doing a double click and twist, I can guarantee that one of the kids (who like to play at the sink) would burn themselves at some point..

Do any of the hot water taps have any additional child locks available? A double tap and twist isn’t exactly beyond a three year old.

Anyone remember those adverts for ‘smash’ where the robots laughed at people peeling/boiling/mashing potatoes? Well the ‘umble potato got the last laugh. Long Live The Kettle !!

I figured out years ago how much water to put in a kettle to make one mug of tea.

This is indeed an art form borne of repetition and experience. When you've got it down to a fine art, the kettle gives up the ghost and you need to familiarise yourself with a different level indicator. :D

Actually, it's surprisingly common for water to be boiled way in excess of that required. Mind you, it's a bugger when you're a couple of cm out when pouring onto your tea-bag. Strong tea or boil a bit more? Last thing you need when dying for a cup o' Rosy Lee is to have to make choices. :)

I figured out years ago how much water to put in a kettle to make one mug of tea.
I'm guessing that it's about 1 mugful. If you put in a bit extra every time it would take a very long time for the difference to pay for one of these devices.

In addition to the 0 - 1.2 litre filling index markers in the handle, my brilliant new Russell Hobbs kettle has internal red index markers for 1,2 or 3 cups. They are spot on for standard cups.

Reading the comments here have persuaded me not to get one.. I have kids and if the younger ones watch and see me or their mother doing a double click and twist, I can guarantee that one of the kids (who like to play at the sink) would burn themselves at some point..

Do any of the hot water taps have any additional child locks available? A double tap and twist isn’t exactly beyond a three year old.
Never seen you boil a kettle?

We had a Kitchen Aid version in the 1980s.
Big on electricity usage and not used as much as you may think.
These days a kettle boils very quickly on the Aga.
We swapped high electricity bills for ridiculous gas ones.

advertisement

Back