advertisement

Instant hot water taps

Rodrat

pfm Member
We will be fitting a new kitchen in a few months and considering the above. TBH really only need normal hot and cold plus the 100c element. Are they any good? We live in a hard water area if that is relevant.

Not sure why you'd want instant boiling water and presumably, though I may be out of date in technology, this would need to be KEPT at 100 degrees C, which is not only a waste but destroys the benefits of hard water, not to mention the scaling which would ensue. Think the Quooker is along those lines but can't see the benefit v cost angle of that either.

Hot water is within seconds of opening our hot tops, either in the kitchen or bathroom, courtesy of the h.w. cylinder. Only the cold supply is theoretically potable but that's what kettles are for. However, I'm prob. way out of date.

Yes thinking about a Quooker, we have a combi for normal hot water provision. Not sure what gathering benefits of hard water are given you use more laundry detergent and bathroom product.

this would need to be KEPT at 100 degrees C

do you mean stored? or maintained - they are instantaneous no stored water.

benefits of hard water,
in this house i dont see any.

We have very hard water which has destroyed numerous water appliances over the years. Now we use a countertop reverse osmosis water heater - it is great. In the 18 months we have had it, not spec of scale has shown anywhere. It is excellent for a cup of tea etc.....

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/home-p...V7z_ggorcmfEDhb8rVUtP8ph1pYCJyMIaAgItEALw_wcB

i note the price has got up alot since i got mine

I’m in the same boat, wondering whether it’s worth it to basically loose the kettle off the worktop.

my other half says no, I’m tempted as we’re going very modern so it’ll look far neater. BUT if it’s unreliable I’ll never hear the end of it. :D

Sounds extremely dangerous to me. 100degC in a tap next/near to normal taps? Make a mistake and it's A&E for you. These devices are fads imo; what's wrong with a decent kettle? We use a nice Bosch one, which will also heat just to 80 or 90, if the drink requires. Very quick.

We have very hard water which has destroyed numerous water appliances over the years.

I've lived in two hard water areas (Ramsgate and Norwich) for 40 years and believe that the minerals contained therein are medically beneficial. This isn't derived from hard 'n' fast science though. One thins's for sure, though; soft water makes crappy coffee. Not sure about tea, as any more than 4 minutes for a Yorkshire Gold tea-bag and the scum appears. Not confined to that brand, either.

Our kettles last 4 or 5 years at least (with occasional descaling) and at around £20 - £25 a pop, hardly a drain on the pocket. So fast and convenient too. At the mo' our boiler is down, and that kettle is invaluable for that morning wash rather than an hour's 3 kW immersion boost from the previous evening.

they are instantaneous no stored water.

'Scuse my higgorance, but how can cold water be heated instantaneously? Are there domestic nuclear reactors nowadays?

No there’s a tank under the sink, about 3 litres in size that stores boiling water and delivers on demand.

'Scuse my higgorance, but how can cold water be heated instantaneously? Are there domestic nuclear reactors nowadays?

my Osmio One - only holds water at room temperature. I turn the knob to select the temp - 60-80-100, push the button and hot water comes out in about 3 seconds.....

Our kettles last 4 or 5 years at least
we were going through kettles in about 2 years - destroyed numerous coffee machines. Our machine remineralises

hard water living for 52 years

I've lived in two hard water areas (Ramsgate and Norwich) for 40 years and believe that the minerals contained therein are medically beneficial.

In soft water areas you just get nuked with Radon! After we found our house was over the safe limits we consider drafts medically beneficial;)

I've been offered a cup of tea (I only drink green or white tea) made from a quooker, bloody disgusting it was too, went straight down the sink. I've never seen so much limescale in the cup and it stunk of chlorine. I do live in a very hard water area but I make my tea at 90 degrees and the wife descales the kettle as required.

Sounds extremely dangerous to me. 100degC in a tap next/near to normal taps? Make a mistake and it's A&E for you. These devices are fads imo; what's wrong with a decent kettle? We use a nice Bosch one, which will also heat just to 80 or 90, if the drink requires. Very quick.

We have the Franke (Omni) version, and our plumber rated it over the Quooker.

The boiling water is only “accessible” by pushing the handle down (like engaging reverse on some cars) and is quite a hard spring. Not easy to do accidentally. On balance I’d imagine it’s as easy, or even easier, to have an accident with a kettle.

My bigger concern was efficiency. Again, as you only use the amount of water required it’s quite likely it’s pretty comparable to using a kettle, unless you’re expert at filling just the right amount!

Reactions: MVJ
I've looked at them too as we're putting in a new kitchen, decided they're not for me, overpriced IMHO, I'll stick to my daily method of kettle & flask.

We will be fitting a new kitchen in a few months and considering the above. TBH really only need normal hot and cold plus the 100c element. Are they any good? We live in a hard water area if that is relevant.
I bought a quooker about a year ago with boiling water and chiller. Boiling water is a cheaper option to boiling water in a kettle as kettles waste unused boiled water. Chilled water is just a substitute for storing water in the fridge, although I find I now drink more water.

We have some of these at work - yes it saves time, but I found the taste to be poor and for the past two or three years they have never worked and even though we have an army of engineers on tap (geddit) none have worked out how to make them spring back to life.

I've been offered a cup of tea (I only drink green or white tea) made from a quooker, bloody disgusting it was too, went straight down the sink. I've never seen so much limescale in the cup and it stunk of chlorine. I do live in a very hard water area but I make my tea at 90 degrees and the wife descales the kettle as required.
It is likely the poor taste is due to lack of maintenance. There should be an in line filter which needs to be changed according to manufacturer recommendations.

Reactions: MVJ
Surely if you don’t use them often then the boiling water you have in your tea could have been sat in the tank at 90 degrees for a week? I remember being told to always make a nice cuppa with fresh water, so how can hot tanked water compare?

Green tea should be brewed at 80 degrees as hot water 'burns' the tea. We have a small kettle that will brew to a programmable set temp.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back