advertisement

Innuos Zen v Melco N1ZH into Hugo1

Mort2k

pfm Member
Evening all

Anyone tried either combination of Zen/Hugo or N1ZH/Hugo as a simple digital source ?
Even better anyone compared the Innuos to the Melco with Chord or other DACS?

Thanks
Rob

I’d say no contest

In terms of sound quality, I would have to agree that the Melco N1ZH has the edge. However, the Zen does offer some additional flexibility in terms of its software support, most notably LMS and Roon, plus of course the ability to rip CDs without adding extra hardware.

Thanks for the reply’s , interesting. I guess I’m looking at three areas not in any order

1) Features
2) Sound Quality
3) ease of use

I am confident the Zen(ith) wins the features.
I think it wins on ease of use, better interface, ease if ripping etc.

Sound Quality is the one I don’t know. Seems from the above the Melco has better sound but by how much ? Is the DAC more of a factor ? Does one do usb output better ?

Rob

Are you asking about the Zen or the Zenith? I thought you were asking about the Zen.

The Melco N1ZH Mk II is probably the best-sounding option via USB. Melco put a lot of effort into improving the USB output on the second generation models. The Zenith II comes pretty close though.

The DAC is definitely a factor. Some designs do a better job than others of cleaning up a less than perfect input. The Hugo is pretty good in this regard, but it definitely does its best work with a good quality source.

Hi

I am undecided between the Zen & Zenith. Interesting note on the USB improvement on the ZHm2. Thanks.

I listened to the Zen Mini and Zenith at the Bristol show, into Hugo TT with Audeze headphones; the demo being Zen Mini, Zen and Zenith into individual TTs so you could switch between sources playing the same song by unplugging and plugging in the headphones.

I found the difference between Zen Mini and Zenith subtle. Slight increase in sense of space, and improved resolution of strings with the Zenith. It was difficult to discern though. Both sounded good as sources - not hard, lots of resolution. Apparently any difference is more obvious through speakers, and of course a show environment is not ideal even through headphones.

I also listened to the Melco on their stand through headphones and, again, it sounded fine but a different DAC and headphones so no real conclusions drawn except they're worthy of an extended listen at home, if you can find a friendly dealer.

Evening all

Anyone tried either combination of Zen/Hugo or N1ZH/Hugo as a simple digital source ?
Even better anyone compared the Innuos to the Melco with Chord or other DACS?

Thanks
Rob

The Zen is £1499 and the Zenith is £2299 (all 1TB capacity). The N1ZH is advertised between £3500 on one site and Futureshop have them up for £4299, so quite a big difference in price between the manufacturers. Innous have much better power supplies therefore I would expect the Zen and Zenith to provide the best sound. I have the Zenith here and the performance is excellent. Personally I would not buy any product with a SMPS especially one that cost as much as that...

Id plum for a Melco N1ZH and Hugo 2 just based on sound quality if your not wanting a headphone amplifier then opt for the Quetest in many ways sonically better than the Hugo 2
Please note you can pickup MK1 s for £2500 to £2750 ex demo and MK2 are now £4299

I've only compared these two products using their ethernet output. Preferred the Melco, it seems to have a more natural, flowing kind of presentation. Having said that, these are small changes that need to taken in context - different DACs will give much more significant changes. I see these devices as the source in a digital system so therefore should have very high priority in system choice, but the changes they make are small compared to the streamer/DAC combination. IMHO.

I've not heard a Zen/Zenith, but in terms of build quality I thought they were rather poor in comparison to a Melco.

Actually you can pick up Mk1 N1ZHs for £2250 or best offer, new and sealed!

I think that David at Audio Therapy has some N1ZH Mk1s left.

I've not heard a Zen/Zenith, but in terms of build quality I thought they were rather poor in comparison to a Melco.

Certainly the casework on the Zen and Zenith II is not as substantial as the aluminium slab construction used in the Melco N1Z, but they are still quite robust and nicely finished. There are no quality issues with the internal components either.

Nice looking boxes, but I could hear no difference between a Melco and my Mac Mini/USB converter.

I've only compared these two products using their ethernet output. Preferred the Melco, it seems to have a more natural, flowing kind of presentation. Having said that, these are small changes that need to taken in context - different DACs will give much more significant changes. I see these devices as the source in a digital system so therefore should have very high priority in system choice, but the changes they make are small compared to the streamer/DAC combination. IMHO.

Thanks for this, i thought the DAC would be the biggest influence

I went into my first critical experience of the Innuos range with an ‘it’s a hard drive server, as long as it provides the data to the player it can’t make a difference’ assumption. A few hours at DB HIFI (cheers James) proved me very wrong, as they progressed through Zen Mini, Zen, Zenith etc. I still wasn’t prepared to stretch to the Zenith SE mind! Separately I’ve heard most of the Melco range at one time or another. Looks like a features/value v ultimate sound quality decision - I’m still toying with replacing the Unitiserve on the NDS, or even going for a USB DAC.

advertisement

Back