advertisement

Innuos Zen MK3 or Zen Mini MK3

Did you measure the output levels of your sources to ensure they were the same. Did you change everything when conducting the tests, or did you ask another to do this so you could provide a fully sterile unbiased listening conclusion? (I think that about covers it).

OK, I measured not the output level, but I switched cables and adjusted the volume level by ear to came to (near) the same output. As my neutral source I used my wife. She confirmed my findings.

@Julf a subjective thought that occurred to me up-thread was that the OP might have ‘hoped he preferred’ the Zen, having started a thread about it after all, but actually preferred the sound of his existing Isis.

A small level difference (on the order of 1-2 dB) is not perceived as a difference in volume, but the louder signal is perceived as "clearer", "more dynamic" and "having more detail". For this reason it is very important to ensure the levels are exactly the same. This usually requires some sort of measurement instrument - you can't do it by ear. The second question was asking if the listening was sighted (as in did you know which was which?)

OK, I understand what you meant. That is something I registered also, but I adjusted the volume level by ear only. Yes, my listening was, from my wife not.

@Julf a subjective thought that occurred to me up-thread was that the OP might have ‘hoped he preferred’ the Zen, having started a thread about it after all, but actually preferred the sound of his existing Isis.

It´s funny, isn´t it? I prefer the sound of my Isis but like to he hear music with the Zen. Next step: Some tuning and next year (maybe) the switch to Zenith.

That is not really how confirmation bias and expectation bias works. They wok on a subconscious level.

Actually an even better idea would be for you to open your own thread for repetitive complaints.

I started one for you yesterday, though it seems to have been the subject of some pruning.:eek:

Maybe repetition is considered too repetitive or even boring.

But have you compared the rip to the original from CD? What was the result?
The guy from Innuos told me, that SQ of the rip would be better as the original from CD. Would you agree to this?

No. The CD sounded best but the Innous was just a little behind in SQ. Certainly the closest I have heard between a good CD player and a music server.

That is not really how confirmation bias and expectation bias works. They wok on a subconscious level.

I’m sure you’re right. I wasn’t coming over all objective, merely making the point (badly, perhaps) that if he hoped he’d like the Zen better, the Isis must be a class act to beat off the opposition - is all.

It´s funny, isn´t it? I prefer the sound of my Isis but like to he hear music with the Zen. Next step: Some tuning and next year (maybe) the switch to Zenith.

You will hear a big difference between the Zen and the Zenith... I demoed the former and using my CDP as a benchmark, it didn't compare, but the Zenith MK2 does.
Mac

You will hear a big difference between the Zen and the Zenith... I demoed the former and using my CDP as a benchmark, it didn't compare, but the Zenith MK2 does.
Mac

i am quit sure to close the gap between Isis and Zen with the switch to Zenith. Only difference is the presentation. Maybe I will try the DAC -R instead of the Teddy DAC.

But I am really happy with the Zen in the moment.

Another option to consider instead of upgrading to a Zenith is to add the new Phoenix USB reclocker to the Zen. It is basically the exact same USB section (clocks power supplies etc) as the statement. The cost would probably be similar to a Zen to Zenith upgrade, and the potential performance improvement could be more significant. It is on my radar for a listen when it eventually gets to the dealers.

Another option to consider instead of upgrading to a Zenith is to add the new Phoenix USB reclocker to the Zen. It is basically the exact same USB section (clocks power supplies etc) as the statement. The cost would probably be similar to a Zen to Zenith upgrade, and the potential performance improvement could be more significant. It is on my radar for a listen when it eventually gets to the dealers.

Good to know. I will keep an eye on it also.

advertisement

Back