advertisement

Innuos Zen MK3 or Zen Mini MK3

To be honest that is what I expected from following other threads, The ISIS is a really high end source, just wondering how close the Innuos could come to it, streaming / NAS librarys are so convenient but difficult to set up / maintain, interesting if the Innuos can be optimised / bettered versus a high end CD source, keep testing.

I have an Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP RRp at about 3.6K and my Innuous Zenith MK2 sounds as good, so much so I rarely play CD's now and I never thought I'd admit that.
Mac

I have done some more comparisions between Rega Isis / Isis+DAC / Zen+DAC.
I came in every time to the same results: 1. Rega Isis 2. Isis+DAC 3. Zen+DAC.
Sometimes with huge differences, like Neil Diamonds „Solomon“, sometimes with
smaller ones like Katie Meluas „Spiders web“
The Ifi-PSU on the router has a real big influence in sound quality of the streamer. The background is really dark now, details more clear. A good investment and cost not that much. I will stay with the Zen. Streaming is really nice. I am not sure if I should sell the Isis, but I would think, it will be a unused item in the future.

The Ifi-PSU on the router has a real big influence in sound quality of the streamer. The background is really dark now, details more clear. A good investment and cost not that much. I will stay with the Zen. Streaming is really nice. I am not sure if I should sell the Isis, but I would think, it will be a unused item in the future.

So exactly the same source material? Sighted listening, I assume? Did you match levels?

Do I understand this correctly? The Isis produces the best sound (of the three methods you auditioned) but you don’t expect to use it in the future because you enjoy streaming.

It is a pity that you did not get to try the Zen and the Isis DAC working together, but it looks as if they are not compatible. There is a note in the Zen/Zenith Mk3 Quick Start Guide saying that it "requires DAC compatible with USB Audio Class 2". I am pretty sure that the Isis does not meet this requirement.

Do I understand this correctly? The Isis produces the best sound (of the three methods you auditioned) but you don’t expect to use it in the future because you enjoy streaming.

A lot to be said for above average sound quality, mixed with convenience and accessibility.

Sighted listening is ok for some, as well. ;)

So exactly the same source material? Sighted listening, I assume? Did you match levels?

Yes, exactly the same material. Rega Isis with CD, also Isis + DAC. Zen + DAC with the Rip from the same CD. But the DAC plays a little bit in an other way as the Isis DAC. But comparing Isis to Zen, the Isis plays better more or less. Darker, details more clear.

The differences are noticeable in an A/B comparision. But the Zen plays really enjoyable. I like him very much. And he is upgradeable to the Zenith. Sounds crazy but I like it really to hear with the Zen. And it‘s so easy to hear something new.

It is a pity that you did not get to try the Zen and the Isis DAC working together, but it looks as if they are not compatible. There is a note in the Zen/Zenith Mk3 Quick Start Guide saying that it "requires DAC compatible with USB Audio Class 2". I am pretty sure that the Isis does not meet this requirement.

I asked Paul. It seems so. But the DAC -R should also be an option.

Yes, exactly the same material. Rega Isis with CD, also Isis + DAC. Zen + DAC with the Rip from the same CD. But the DAC plays a little bit in an other way as the Isis DAC. But comparing Isis to Zen, the Isis plays better more or less. Darker, details more clear.

How did you match levels? Sighted listening?

How did you match levels? Sighted listening?
:rolleyes:

What a novel, interesting questioning. I am pretty sure this has never been discussed anywhere on the internet ever before. I doubt anyone would mind if an engineer would raise this just the once...:rolleyes:. Well done for bringing something new and not very repetitive at all to PFM.

What a novel, interesting questioning. I am pretty sure this has never been discussed anywhere on the internet ever before. I doubt anyone would mind if an engineer would raise this just the once...:rolleyes:. Well done for bringing something new and not very repetitive at all to PFM.

So, as usual, making the same, repetitive claims is OK, questioning them isn't.

Actually an even better idea would be for you to open your own thread for repetitive complaints.

Interestingly, I can do that several ways, including using a test tone and measuring it using a couple of the meters I own. I did do it with my Naim kit as I didn't believe my ears when the balance seemed out - the metering confirmed this.

I do do this when setting up live pa for gigs to ensure sound level compliance, if nothing else. Ironically I've found the app i use on my Iphone as good as any, although I'm sure the microphone could be better.

However, I do also note you are synonymous with the technical aspect of needing fully objective measuring and testing to confirm any information of the nature conveyed by the OP on this thread. I respect that if others do not meet your standard of testing, that may mean less for you.

Personally, its their choice and their kit. How they describe their findings is fine with me - its a hifi forum after all.

Finally - there is a fair amount of selective responding to posts on this forum - its part of its culture.

Hm, I am not sure if I understood your question...

Did you measure the output levels of your sources to ensure they were the same. Did you change everything when conducting the tests, or did you ask another to do this so you could provide a fully sterile unbiased listening conclusion? (I think that about covers it).

Hm, I am not sure if I understood your question...

A small level difference (on the order of 1-2 dB) is not perceived as a difference in volume, but the louder signal is perceived as "clearer", "more dynamic" and "having more detail". For this reason it is very important to ensure the levels are exactly the same. This usually requires some sort of measurement instrument - you can't do it by ear. The second question was asking if the listening was sighted (as in did you know which was which?)

advertisement

Back