advertisement

Innuos Zen MK3 or Zen Mini MK3

Info from Paul was, that the input of the Isis is not async. Maybe that‘s the reason?
I will have an eye on a used DAC -R.

Last edited:
I compared CD-Rip to Stream now. I ripped my CD‘s to WAV.
The Stream in 44,1kHz sounds not as good as the Rip.
Also Hi-Res in 192kHz, sounds not better to my ears.
I ordered an Ifi-PSU for my router (fritzbox 7490) now, hoping
this will make the stream more sounding.

What is the miracle of a good sounding stream?

I compared CD-Rip to Stream now. I ripped my CD‘s to WAV.
The Stream in 44,1kHz sounds not as good as the Rip.

What exactly is your setup, and how did you test?

Also Hi-Res in 192kHz, sounds not better to my ears.
I ordered an Ifi-PSU for my router (fritzbox 7490) now, hoping
this will make the stream more sounding.

Are you being serious?

What is the miracle of a good sounding stream?

Accurate level matching. :)

Leaving aside all discussion about double-blind level matching guff (other than to say that we can level match using an iPhone based SPL meter) using my Zen Mark III to send files to my Lumin D1 which is connected via coax to my Aesthetix Pandora DAC sounds much the same as any transport we've had here (Rega, Naim, Audio Note) playing the CDs that provided the rips. I struggle to distinguish much (if any) difference with TIDAL and/or Qobuz streams of the same material. It is all good but I can't be arsed with having 4.5K CDs in my listening room when streaming is so convenient.

Having said all that, my strong preference is to play LPs most of the time :rolleyes:.

What exactly is your setup, and how did you test?

Are you being serious?

Accurate level matching. :)

My setup is Innuos Zen MK3 into Teddy DAC with 192kHz async. modul. Teddy PR1/MB100 into B&W805D2. Interconnect, USB and loudspeaker cable are all
from Teddy. Router is a fritzbox 7490. Cable from router to my room is CAT7.
From the box to Zen Meichord Opal 10m.

YES. Compared Norah Jones Come away with me as a Rip and Qobuz Hires 192kHz stream. Also Silje Nergaard Chain of days as a Rip and also as Hires 96kHz stream.
Sounds not bad but not better as expected.

What‘s the trick or what did I made wrong?

My setup is Innuos Zen MK3 into Teddy DAC with 192kHz async. modul. Teddy PR1/MB100 into B&W805D2. Interconnect, USB and loudspeaker cable are all
from Teddy. Router is a fritzbox 7490. Cable from router to my room is CAT7.
From the box to Zen Meichord Opal 10m.

Router has no influence on sound. Neither has the cable from the router unless it is really broken - just make sure you use UTP and not STP (the shield of STP actually breaks the galvanic isolation of Ethernet).

Compared Norah Jones Come away with me as a Rip and Qobuz Hires 192kHz stream. Also Silje Nergaard Chain of days as a Rip and also as Hires 96kHz stream.
Sounds not bad but not better as expected.

What makes you think the sound should be better?

Now I am confused. I thought you said it didn't sound better.

Sorry, wrong reading from my side. What I described was the A/B comparission of 44,1mHz.
Between 44,1mHz Rip and Hires Stream differences are existing in presentation and soundstage.
Sounds different but not bad.
Am I wrong if I expect that Hires sounds better as the Rip?
I thought more infromations would also lead to more details in sound.

Am I wrong if I expect that Hires sounds better as the Rip?

They would only sound different if the source material / master is different (or played back at different volume/level).

I thought more infromations would also lead to more details in sound.

Only if that "information" is useful. So-called "hi res" consists of two aspects: a sample rate above 44.1 kHz that only gives the ability to reproduce frequencies above 22 kHz - useless unless you are a dog or bat, and more than 16 bits per sample - useless if the noise floor of the source material and/or listening room is higher than the low-end limit of 16 bit range (around -96 dB - let's not get into dither at this point).

They would only sound different if the source material / master is different (or played back at different volume/level).

Only if that "information" is useful. So-called "hi res" consists of two aspects: a sample rate above 44.1 kHz that only gives the ability to reproduce frequencies above 22 kHz - useless unless you are a dog or bat, and more than 16 bits per sample - useless if the noise floor of the source material and/or listening room is higher than the low-end limit of 16 bit range (around -96 dB - let's not get into dither at this point).

OK, understood. I was thinking I could expect a better sound. But in every case, the Hires stream sounds better as the 44,1kHz, if both is available!

I am really impressed about the endless possibilities to hear music with streaming.

Steve - Formed any opinion yet about Zen + DAC v.s. good old Rega Isis?

Actually I am ripping well known CD‘s for my comparision. That’s the reason why I compared it to the streams first. Next step is the compare between Zen and Isis through Teddy DAC. The other way was not possible.

Have you tried to use the Isis DAC with other sources? Was it possible?

Steve - I've got an AudioStack Link running into the Isis DAC. Not had too much time to play with the combination as change Job - but initial impressions are very favourable - need to do some extended listening over the Christmas period. Regards.

Steve - I've got an AudioStack Link running into the Isis DAC. Not had too much time to play with the combination as change Job - but initial impressions are very favourable - need to do some extended listening over the Christmas period. Regards.

I started the comparision with Silje Nergaard „The moon is a harsh mistress“!
That is one of my favorites! Best interpretation was with the Rega Isis, every detail present and hearable. Second, with the Isis via the Teddy DAC. A little less in dynamics but every detail present. Third place to the Zen via Teddy DAC. All details were present but not in that emotional view as the Isis. I am not sure, if the cables (USB=Teddy, Coax=Teddy) will have an influence, but tests will go on.

I started the comparision with Silje Nergaard „The moon is a harsh mistress“!
That is one of my favorites! Best interpretation was with the Rega Isis, every detail present and hearable. Second, with the Isis via the Teddy DAC. A little less in dynamics but every detail present. Third place to the Zen via Teddy DAC. All details were present but not in that emotional view as the Isis. I am not sure, if the cables (USB=Teddy, Coax=Teddy) will have an influence, but tests will go on.

To be honest that is what I expected from following other threads, The ISIS is a really high end source, just wondering how close the Innuos could come to it, streaming / NAS librarys are so convenient but difficult to set up / maintain, interesting if the Innuos can be optimised / bettered versus a high end CD source, keep testing.

advertisement

Back