advertisement

Innuos Sense app and V2.2.0 update

What is LMS?
I've tried to disable Orange Squeeze but am reluctant to uninstall it just yet.
If I open Squeezeplayer, it shows that it is connected to the server, but does not show Innuos Sense.
If I open InnuosSense it will show music playing, but there is no sound.
It's driving me nuts.
Re, your screenshot above, I can go to settings in Squeezeplay and select the Sqeezeplay 'name', which is based on my phone model.

That's because the sense app on your phone/tablet is a remote controller not a player - that is to say it will only play to whatever you are hooked up to via your Zen Mini.
I guarantee that if you install BubbleUPnP or Foobar on your phone/tablet you'll never go near LMS/Orange Squeeze/Squeezeplayer again.
If paying for the app represents a pita then go for Foobar - it's free.

What is LMS?
I've tried to disable Orange Squeeze but am reluctant to uninstall it just yet.
If I open Squeezeplayer, it shows that it is connected to the server, but does not show Innuos Sense.
It's driving me nuts.
Re, your screenshot above, I can go to settings in Squeezeplay and select the Sqeezeplay 'name', which is based on my phone model.

LMS is Logitech Media Server

Mr Mull, I'm still a little hazy with how the Sense app works (never seen it in the flesh, so to speak) but your reply seems to imply that Sense can connect to Squeeze Player and play music but without sound from Squeeze Player.

So it is a configuration issue on the Sense app.

If you read this link

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...-LMS-embrace-extend-amp-break-and-the-GPL#top

it will explain why that is so.

The information has been out there for a long time and I'm guessing that you were / are cognisant of its existance, or perhaps it passed you by :).

I would suggest that you contact Innuos and explain your user case to them and ask what action is available to you.

I am not suggesting that you make any changes to your Sense app configuration.

ronnie

If you wish to utilse the Squeeze Player app in the manner you describe, then a small form computer device running a local LMS would facilitate that :)

Last edited:
Maybe worth stepping back a bit.
When I got the Innuos the Sense App didn't exist and the recommendation for android devices was to get Orange Squeeze as a control app. So I did...and it worked.

A little later I was told that I needed a 'player' app to get music onto my phone or tablet, so it made sense to qet Squeezeplayer.

What confuses me is that the Squeezeplayer app creates an icon on my phone/tablet which looks like a black speaker cone.
However, when I open the app, I see a 'start app' button with the Orange Squeeze icon next to it. Not sure what that's telling me, but whatever, it works and gives me access to the music.

I am assuming the Squeezeplayer app is to play music on a device, not through the hifi? And as such wouldn't help with my problems?
But I am pleased to see that this thread is becoming useful to others, after such a rocky beginning.

I am hampered in being able to contribute much to this because I have an iPhone (and Zenith Mk3) but the iPeng app on the iPhone allows one to nominate the Innuos as the server and the iPhone as the player so that it plays the Innuos music on the iPhone. I assume that the Android Squeezeplayer is similar?

OK, I have had the remote session with Nuno today and I still need some help.
He updated the system to 2.2.4 and made it able to use Orange Squeeze again. As Innuos no longer use LMS, I will have to re-scan the library in Orange Squeeze or LMS each time I import or rip. And therein lies a problem. I didn't even realise that LMS means Logitech Media Server until after we finished, but even more importantly I don't know where to find it! I use Orange Squeeze on a tablet, but can't see how to re-scan there, and LMS isn't even visible. How do I do it? On the laptop? But I don't think Orange Squeeze is on that.
Also he said I can now uninstall Sense, but again, where and how?
Just to confirm how computer dumb I am, I didn't even know how to send the messages I typed into the dialogue box as we were going through it all. Eventually I discovered I had to press return!
So please, someone take pity on me and tell me how to scan the music library and uninstall Sense.
BTW, it was interesting watching him whizz through all the set-up details.

One finds LMS by navigating in a web browser to

IPAddress(ofLMS) :9000 In your case this will be the ip address of the Zenith
so;
for example
192.168.1.27:9000

or maybe, something like

sense.local:9000 or Sense.local or with a http:// or https:// suffix

I can guess at how to un-install Sense, but think you are better asking elswhere if you don't get a favourable response here

ronnie

I may be wrong (it's been known;)) but I'm wondering if when he said that he just meant you could uninstall the sense app on your tablet - maybe just send him a short email to clarify?
If you go into Orange Squeeze (on your tablet) and tap on the 3 dots (top right) there is a 'maintenance' option - 2nd option is 'Rescan New and Changed' - if you take that option after adding to your library via import or rip that should update it.

Ah, thanks. I will have to power up the system to access Orange Squeeze, so I will do it later.
But I can't see how to uninstall Sense on the tablet, or anywhere else. An email to Nuno is probably needed, just to confirm how dumb I am. :D
Ronnie; thanks for the info.

OK, I have had the remote session with Nuno today and I still need some help.
He updated the system to 2.2.4 and made it able to use Orange Squeeze again. As Innuos no longer use LMS, I will have to re-scan the library in Orange Squeeze or LMS each time I import or rip. And therein lies a problem. I didn't even realise that LMS means Logitech Media Server until after we finished, but even more importantly I don't know where to find it! I use Orange Squeeze on a tablet, but can't see how to re-scan there, and LMS isn't even visible. How do I do it? On the laptop? But I don't think Orange Squeeze is on that.
Just to confirm how computer dumb I am, I didn't even know how to send the messages I typed into the dialogue box as we were going through it all. Eventually I discovered I had to press return!
So please, someone take pity on me and tell me how to scan the music library and uninstall Sense.
BTW, it was interesting watching him whizz through all the set-up details.

I fear you are trying to turn an apple into an orange. Even if you paint the apple orange colour it is still an apple.

On the matter of LMS, Innuos still use this as the backbone for their streamers but have overlaid their own graphic interface on top of LMS and have also tweaked LMS to optimise sound quality within Sense. That is why to a certain extent it is still possible to interact with and control the Innous streamer using the old LMS control apps.

“Also he said I can now uninstall Sense, but again, where and how?” - Did Nuno mean you can now uninstall the Sense app from your tablet? I use iPads and iPhone so cannot help but a quick search on Google came up with,

“Delete apps on Android by opening the Settings and going to Apps > See all apps. Tap on the application you want to delete. Select Uninstall and confirm by hitting OK.“

And also this

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521768?hl=en-GB

But before that, have you tried the folder view in Music in Sense? As far as I remember you do not like the album artwork method of viewing and want a list instead. The folder view maybe goes some way towards that.

I may be wrong (it's been known;)) but I'm wondering if when he said that he just meant you could uninstall the sense app on your tablet - maybe just send him a short email to clarify?
If you go into Orange Squeeze (on your tablet) and tap on the 3 dots (top right) there is a 'maintenance' option - 2nd option is 'Rescan New and Changed' - if you take that option after adding to your library via import or rip that should update it.
I have found the maintenance option, but nothing seems to happen when I press re-scan. Probably because Nuno has just done that, so there is nothing new. But it looks hopeful, I just need to import or rip something new.

On the matter of LMS, Innuos still use this as the backbone for their streamers but have overlaid their own graphic interface on top of LMS and have also tweaked LMS to optimise sound quality within Sense. That is why to a certain extent it is still possible to interact with and control the Innous streamer using the old LMS control apps.

“Also he said I can now uninstall Sense, but again, where and how?” - Did Nuno mean you can now uninstall the Sense app from your tablet? I use iPads and iPhone so cannot help but a quick search on Google came up with,

“Delete apps on Android by opening the Settings and going to Apps > See all apps. Tap on the application you want to delete. Select Uninstall and confirm by hitting OK.“

And also this

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521768?hl=en-GB
Nuno said they no longer use LMS. Exactly what that means, I don't know.
Sense does not show as an app on the tablet, so settings can't help.
I followed that link, but Sense was installed as part of an Innuos update, so not from Play Store.
And it's not just the view in Sense; it's also slow and awkward to use. For me.
I will have to look on a PC and see if there are more options there.
But thank you (and everyone else) for trying to help me. I may be beyond help, though. o_O

@awkwardbydesign I thought I had recently seen reference to LMS on an Innuos web page and then remembered where it was. It was giving instructions on how the access the LMS settings to install the BBC Sounds app onto an Innuos streamer/server. This is the page I was recollecting.

https://innuos.com/kb/access-the-internal-logitech-media-server-lms-software-settings/

I can understand what you are saying about Sense not doing what you want and not being good for how you want to access and control the playing of your music files but for the vast majority of people it near enough provides what they want and will steadily get better although not perhaps in your sense of being better.

There may come a time when you decide that a different server/player option is better for you. As well as an Innuos I also use an Antipodes server/player and that is more like the old Innuos before they adopted the Sense app.

Ooh, thanks Fourlegs. I'll have a look later. I believe there may be a footy match first. :D
I understand Sense makes sense for most, but then I am special.:rolleyes: I should probably stick to analogue.
I have even looked at the factory reset option, as my music is all backed up, but if that destroyed all the folders or settings in Orange Squeeze I would be stuffed. I would even accept a (potential?) drop in sound quality, after all I was happy enough before the updates.

Hopefully sorted now. I still have to import or rip in Sense, and edit or add tags (genres) there, but then if I re-scan new or changed in Orange Squeeze it all shows and plays as before. Nuno says I can use an external programme instead of Sense, but I think I will leave it alone! But then he said I could "easily" create playlists in Sense; for 2316 artists! Not exactly. :eek:

@awkwardbydesign I thought I had recently seen reference to LMS on an Innuos web page and then remembered where it was. It was giving instructions on how the access the LMS settings to install the BBC Sounds app onto an Innuos streamer/server. This is the page I was recollecting.

https://innuos.com/kb/access-the-internal-logitech-media-server-lms-software-settings/

I can understand what you are saying about Sense not doing what you want and not being good for how you want to access and control the playing of your music files but for the vast majority of people it near enough provides what they want and will steadily get better although not perhaps in your sense of being better.

There may come a time when you decide that a different server/player option is better for you. As well as an Innuos I also use an Antipodes server/player and that is more like the old Innuos before they adopted the Sense app.

Thank you for providing this information.

advertisement

Back