advertisement

Inner groove distortion

Alternatively, after Scalford is over I'll arrange to place two tracks side by side, same cartridge but one with an 8x18um elliptical tip and the other with 3x75um Line.
Something nice and hot, and of side with plenty of HF and sibilance. That's the only way to settle this nonsense. I'll host the files given the needledrop policy.

No thanks. I've done this multiple times at home. If anyone else wants, why not, but it doesn't settle anything.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Update: just changed my cart to an AT440mla. IGD is completely gone. Whether this is due to the finer stylus profile or the more compliant cantilever (prob. both) I cant say, but its gone.

Sounding a little brittle right now but I'm sure thats nothing some break-in time and judicious cartridge loading cant fix.

Good work.

The finer ML stylus profile (around 3um minor r) will be banishing the IGD, the compliance more responsible for good MF/LF tracking, i.e. the avoidance of break-up on loud sounds at any part of the disc surface.

For loading I've found 35k-39k Ohms with around 100-120pf total gives a smooth and neutral result. The latter is quite difficult to achieve and effectively means running the phono stage with little to no (other than stray) capacitance. Worth the effort though.

Of course; the weird thing about vinyl is that aspects of its technical performance are poor...such as inner groove issues, noise, warps, tracking and so on. Quite high distortion too. And yet it can still sound the best recorded medium we have. A true mystery.
And for those who can't accept the compromises, there is digital. Something for everyone. I don't concern myself with the basic vinyl flaws...it's a bit like humans, we ignore the bad bits if we really like the rest.

I agree. Every now and then vinyl sounds so 'right' it has to be right because that does not happen on CD. It is for those moments that we persevere and spend silly amounts of money. It's what makes it a hobby and not just a pastime.

Has anyone pointed out that as long as you're in touch with your inner groove, a little distortion is fine?

Hmm?

Cool.

Robert. Do you think removing the input caps on the 640p is a good move?

It should improve things, i.e. sweeten the top end by pushing the treble peak out to 20khz or even further. The 440 really only needs the arm lead capacitance and no more. Definitely worth a try. One small caution is the increased tendency in some stages to pick up RF - rarely an issue though and even without the loading caps the 640 will likely still have around 15-20pf stray capacitance.

Sorry I'm rambling, in short, yes :)

I removed the input caps. Wow! What an improvement.
It's reintroduced a sweetness that I had been missing from my Brio-R. Thanks for the tip.

I have a 640p,a soldering iron and an enquiring mind.alas I am also an idiot.please explain more for this idiot so I can try.

what and were are input caps ?

ta very much.

advertisement

Back