Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Injured cat

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Jimin, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Hello all

A little advice is needed, please. Our ten year old cat was found motionless, with what turned out to be fractured ribs, last Wednesday. His legs are limp, though can flex and scrabble them a little.

Has anyone else experienced such a situation? We are wondering if, with time, whatever damage, whether physical, to his nerves, or the effects of shock, will wear off, and he will regain the use of his limbs.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, and we're putting him through the exercises the vet recommended. I know that time will tell, but any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Jim

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Surely the vet is best to advise here? Cats are very poor at telling you they are in pain, so don’t assume he isn’t. If in even the slightest doubt another vet visit is in order IMHO.

Barrymagrec, Dozey, Durmbo and 7 others like this.
  3. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Yes of course, we are regularly taking him to the vet. He is on medication and being properly looked after. I was just hoping for some encouragement, really - the vet is very efficient but not hugely empathic.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Sorry to hear your mog has been in the wars. Hope he's back on his feet soon. I've found the folk on Cat Chat to be brilliant when I've needed a bit of help or support with our little house panther.

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/

Darmok and Jimin like this.
  5. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Thanks! I'll take a look there.

6. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

Hi Jim

one of our cats lost the use of 1 front leg completely (we never knew why, ?fall?trauma). After a week or 2 of pain killers/ anti-inflammatories he was back to normal. So recovery is possible in some cases.

regards

Kevin

Jimin likes this.
  7. Darmok

Darmok "In Lation, Trans Lost."

Remarkable sentient creatures...

Talk to them, they enjoy it. :)

sideshowbob, Jimin and Durmbo like this.
  8. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Hit by a car?

You can usually tell by the claws being broken/chiped as they put them out upon impact

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Jimin likes this.
  9. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

That’s no good. I wish your furboy a full recovery.

Jimin likes this.
  10. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Thanks for supportive words, all. We're trying hard not to speculate about the cause of the injuries, and are focusing on rehabilitation. For what it's worth, his only physical injuries are two fractured ribs - no broken or chipped claws, no missing fur, no abrasions.

Part of the family, aren't they?

Barrymagrec, Durmbo, Darmok and 2 others like this.
  11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Absolutely are. Sending positive feline vibes for a full recovery.

Durmbo and Jimin like this.
  12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I hope your cat makes a full recovery. About 10 years ago one of our cats was hit by a car and lost mobility in his tail. For a week or so it was touch and go whether the spine damage would cause him to become incontinent (we would have had to have him put down) but he recovered OK, so the vet amputated his (limp) tail and he lived another 5 years. He was a lovely cat - 22lbs of tom cat muscle, but a big softy when in the house (fortunately - he could have inflicted some damage if he'd been aggressive).

Our current cat is going on 16 and arthritis has slowed him down a lot, but he seems healthy. He ate a piece of plastic when just a year old and needed to have part of his intestine removed ($$$$) but he's been fine ever since.

Durmbo and Jimin like this.
  13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Absolutely they are. We have dogs, but I completely empathise. Hope yours is on the mend and recovers well soon.

Jimin likes this.
  14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I hope your beast can regain a high quality of life.

Jimin likes this.
  15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

op hope pussycat makes a good recovery

thats big

the brothers are sending good cat vibes

[​IMG]20211108_110036 by uh_simon, on Flickr

16. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Little starsky just came back with her first dead mouse. She patrolling my lounge with a certain swagger

Yank and Durmbo like this.
  17. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I had the same experience with one of my cats, Harry, when he was about three years old. His imperial majesty is now 12 and going strong, living a full, happy life and making the world a much more pleasant place to be.

Best wishes you jimin your furry overlord making a full recovery.

Jimin and Durmbo like this.
  18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

Even though 99.999999999999999999999% of the time they pretend to ignore you.

@Jimin - Fingers crossed your mog makes a full recovery.

Jimin likes this.
  19. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Just want to add my wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your furry fella. The little sods truly do leave pawprints on your heart.

Andy Stephenson and Jimin like this.
  20. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

Hi all

Thanks for all the good wishes, they're all super appreciated. I didn't realise how fond I was of the wee chap until he became so ill.

Quick update, Tim's slowly regaining the use of his limbs, he can support himself on his front legs, he's grooming himself, there is movement in his tail. It's quite amazing watching him coming back to himself, though it's still not certain if he will be able to regain his mobility. He's fighting, though, and we're giving him lots of physiotherapy and pampering.

Fingers crossed!

sean99, Durmbo, suzywong and 8 others like this.