advertisement

!*$%ing iTunes! Help needed please.

Spiderous

pfm Member
Hello,

in my own cack-handed way, whilst trying to move my iTunes Music Folder to an external hard drive I seem to have created a duplicate of everything

The iTunes window shows two versions of ervery song; one in the correct path, e.g.F:\All Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds\........m4a (This version works when you press play etc).

However a second version, which iTunes can't locate, and neither can I seems to be at file://localhost/F:/All Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds/Abattoir Blues (Disc 1)/1-07 Abattoir Blues 1.m4a

Additionally, the info at the bottom of the iTunes window says I've got 80Gb of content, but there's only 40Gb on F:\ Drive, and I've deleted everything from the internal drive on the laptop.

Can anyone help on how I can easily get rid of the non-working duplicates (even though they don't seem to actually exist). I don't fancy deleting 3500 tracks one-by-one.

Thanks in advance

http://www.tidysongs.com/
I havent used the one above, and it's not free.

There's another I have at home that is free, and that will go through the itunes library xml file and remove anything with a file not found error, but i cant recall the name just now. It'll come to me - or if you can wait a few hours ....

I don't know if it will do the trick, but somewhere in the settings is a location for your music library(ies).
Does it show both the old and new ones?

Spiderour what has happened is you have moved the library but itunes has simply added this to the existing database.

The quickest way I know to deal with it is to dumpt the itunes folder from your home music folder. This will loose you any playlists you have on the go though.

If this is difficult then you can choose a view type which is 'date added' all you newly added music will now appear at the top scroll down to where the music starts again select all that and delete it.

Woohoo - fixed it.

Adding in the "Date added" field to the itunes view shows today's date works, the original one doesn't. Sort by date - highlight and delete everything earlier than today.

advertisement

Back