advertisement

Information sought on an obscure LP

starbuck

pfm Member
I'm sorting through the records of my late Uncle on behalf of my parents, in case there's anything amongst them worth salvaging from the charity shop, and, despite the huge amounts of James Last, Readers Digest box sets, Sing-a-long-a-war-years by Max Bygraves, there's some very nice classical stuff. Most of these are records that can be catalogued and valued quite easily but I've come across one that I can find nothing about at all(it's quite a nice recording, by the way).

It's a 2 lp set of the New York Philharmonic in an almost plain black foldover box, entitled on the spine 'A Tribute To Andre Kostelanetz', and was recorded live at The Lincoln Center on January 14th, 1980, conducted by Zubin Mehta and featuring Luciano Pavarotti as a soloist performing a piece from Verdi's Requiem. The records are marked with the catalogue number LCAK 1001 and also marked "Private Edition Not For Sale". My Uncle was, as far as we know and judging by the rest of his collection, not a fan of opera and had never left the UK, so we can't quite work out where this has come from - would anyone have any idea where records like this originate from, as my Uncle never worked for anything to do with the music or broadcast industry so it seems an odd thing to be in his possession?

Any advice on the record would be appreciated.

Chris.

advertisement

Back