1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Info wanted on these old Celef speakers

Discussion in 'classic' started by pete the bus, Aug 18, 2008.

1. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post...

I've trawled the web, i've even contacted Celef(Proac), but I cant find any info on these amazing old speakers. All Celef could tell me was the manufacturers of the individual units. Anybody know a good site where I might find some info? A review from an old hi-fi magazine would be good too.
    The label on the back says : Celef Studio Professional.
    Serial no.s 009 and 010. Amp rating 20-100 Watts. Impedance 8 Ohms - 6 Ohms minimum. Mode: Stand Mounting.
    The dims are: H:30". W:14". D:15"
    They came from a 2nd hand shop about 5-6 yrs ago, I got them fairly cheaply (£75), because the shop couldnt find any info either and didnt know how to price them. They are working except for one of the Audax tweeters, and sound wonderful, as you'd expect from Celef...
    Many thanks for any info
    Peter

2. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I did the first review of these speakers many, many years ago, so I've got some info in my files. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

3. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

That would be amazing if you can find anything Dave...
    Hope you're thinking of the right model - I cant seem to post a picture on here, but these particular Celef Monitors have SEVEN drive units !!!

Peter

4. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Right, I'm confused. No Celef speaker had seven drivers. The usual count was two or three and a couple of ProAc's had four but SEVEN :confused:

The Celef Studio Professional Transducer (SPT or Tyler's initials) had three drivers - a KEF B139, an 8 inch Audax and Audax 25 mm tweeter. The cabinet was 30 x 13.5 x 15 inches, 6-8 ohm impedance and sensitivity of about 83 dB.

Is this the one you have ?

5. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

These have four Kef B110's as bass units, an 8" mid-range which I think is ATC, an Audax HD12 9D25 tweeter, and an unknown (paper coned) super tweeter !!!!!!

Celef gave me the speaker manufacturers when I phoned them a while back, so they have them listed in their "old models" parts list catalogue.
    I have posted a picture on another forum, but I'm not sure if its against this forums policy to post a link to another forum site ??

6. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

It's nothing I know of. Stewart Tyler was forever playing around trying new drivers and combinations. He went through a phase of using multiple small drivers instead of one larger unit, the 'Celefane' for instance, which was a heap of 1 inch tweeters connected together to act as a bass/mid driver. It wasn't particularly successful and never saw the light of day. He also played with the B110 as a mid, cutting away most of the cone to leave strips. This also never went into production. I'm wondering if your speakers are one of these prototypes.

The 'paper cone' super tweeter is most probably a piezo electric unit which did wonders for VHF. Long before 'Super tweeters' were commonplace, I used this piezo with long flying leads and a pair of croc clips to attach to any speaker. The results were amazing for hardly any outlay. I think the Piezo's were Motorola and cost about £3.50 each.

7. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

I cant post a link until I have posted 5 times...this is my 4th

I wouldn't have thought they were prototypes if they have serial numbers of 009 and 010 ?? And as I said, Celef (Proac) were able to look them up and tell me the make of drivers that were used....
    The mystery deepens....

8. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

9. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

That's no Celef I've ever seen and I was a dealer almost from day one till they finished.

The SPT had drivers as I described, a KEF B139, an Audax mid and tweeter, no piezo, just the three units. A later version of which only around 10 pairs were made, used a 10 inch volt, an 8 inch Peerless and a 1 inch dome tweeter but nothing like you have.

Celef did a lot of sales in Australia at one time and they made some different models for that market. It could be one of these or just an aborted run of a few pairs which never hit our market.

What did ProAc tell you about your's ?

10. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

They could'nt tell me very much, only that they couldn't supply parts or help with any repairs/maintenance, but they were able to look up the details of the individual driver manufacturers in some sort of manual of old models. At first he quoted me the drivers for the 3 driver model( the one you know of), but when I told him there were 7 drivers he had another look and came up with the right one, so it is in their "past models" list...
    I have been told on another forum that possibly the only person who might have any memory of these would be Stuart Tyler himself... Does he still work for ProAc?

11. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

He is definitely the only person who will know, unfortunately, we are talking reclusive.

As I said earlier, he was in the habit of making a few pairs or even just one pair of a design and then getting bored or moving onto the next thing. Your speakers are likely to be a one-off. He would often get ten cabs made up, fit drivers and play around, then sell off the resultant speaker. Maybe that's what you have, they certainly don't look perfectly finished, though interesting.

12. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

I'm afraid I'm guilty of not looking after them properly...they've been moved around quite a bit and taken a few bumps and knocks in the process.
    When I 1st got them I thought they were beautifully put together, but I had no idea they might be so rare and unusual !!
    I do know, however, that they sound terrific with my (modest) system, and for the moment they have ousted a pair of Kef Reference 104/2's as my preferred speakers !