advertisement

Infected SBT

bruce

Computer seems to have become infected. Now SBT won't play but starts/stops/starts/stops every few seconds ...

AVG picked up trojan horse PSW.Generic10.UBK in c:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\squeezeboxcp.exe, c:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\squeezesvc.exe and c:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\scanner.exe which I have isolated.

Advice please as to what to do? Am I doomed or is this something easily rectifiable by a non-techie person, ie me? Help most appreciated.

Once you've cleaned the PC I'd download Logitech Media Server afresh from Logitec and reinstall from scratch. You can flatten and reinstall the software on the SBT via it's front panel display too, i.e. nothing to do with the PC. It's very unlikely any PC virus has got as far as the SBT as the vast majority target MS Windows exclusively, but might be worth doing regardless.

I would imagine that a clean out of LMS and reinstallation should work as you will then be permitting LMS with the windows installer.

Link works for me. That is interesting. Anyway I have uninstalled and shall see what happens after reinstall ...

Has AVG just updated it's virus scanner tables?

If it is genuinely a false positive, can't you set your own exceptions in AVG.

Sorry, I am on a MAC and know nothing about AVG

Microsoft Security Essentials - free and troublefree. It goes some way to re-establishing faith in XP and Windows 7.

Yes it happened to me. An old post on the slimdevices forum suggested that AVG and other A software sometimes has a problem with LMS. Added exclusions into AVG configuration assuming the Logitech wouldn't be distributing Trojans.

Used LMS on Linux while I was working out what to do about the Windows instance.

advertisement

Back