advertisement

Inexpensive route into digital

Thanks everyone. Looks like the Wiim Pro is the easiest thing.
Yes, but you will want to feed it into a modern dac to hear what streaming is capable of.
If it doesn't compete with your vinyl front end.... You won't spend time listening to it.

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Can some of you smart folks explain something to me, please.
With a thing like Wiim Pro... and e.g. Tidal...
Does Wiim Pro "play" (I guess the proper term here is stream) from e.g. Tidal on it's own, and the phone is only some sort of remote and display, or does the phone do the actual playing of music and the streamer is only some kind of bridge to the amp?

And is this different to Chromecast Audio?
Because I have all sorts of problems, glitches, bugs, distortion... with phone-CA. Would more proper streamer, like Wiim Pro, sort this problems.

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Can some of you smart folks explain something to me, please.
With a thing like Wiim Pro... and e.g. Tidal...
Does Wiim Pro "play" (I guess the proper term here is stream) from e.g. Tidal on it's own, and the phone is only some sort of remote and display, or does the phone do the actual playing of music and the streamer is only some kind of bridge to the amp?

And is this different to Chromecast Audio?
Because I have all sorts of problems, glitches, bugs, distortion... with phone-CA. Would more proper streamer, like Wiim Pro, sort this problems.

The phone is a display and remote only,once you’ve selected and pressed play you could turn your phone off,or even flush it down the toilet !
Chrome cast audio was good when it came out,mine went flaky in the end,the Wiim is about as simple and reliable as it gets,also nice to see not just the sample rate,but the kbps on the display app.

Contrary to what has been suggested in this thread the truth actually is that even very inexpensive digital absolutely wipes the floor with anything vinyl has to offer - when it comes to reproducing the source signal as flawlessly and faithfully to the original as possible. Is this what you want? If so, my advice is to get a second hand Chromecast Audio - inexpensive and quite easy to set up.

Arguably the biggest Hifi bargain in History.

Streaming’s alright, it just doesn’t give you that feeling of superiority you get from lowering a two grand cart on to some revolving plastic.

Thats at the lower price for so called high-end! My (mid-end) cart cost twice as much and then the diamond went walkies......... I'm now listening to digital.

DV

In my experience you'll get a lot more bang for yer buck with digital - music player and DAC. To improve on this you'll need to spend around five times as much on record playing kit TT/arm/cart/phono stage. A good recording on an LP can sound really something even in mono. It can be almost a holographic experience difficult to describe if you haven't heard it.

So with the high price for record playing kit its not really worth the outlay unless you already have an extensive collection of records.

DV

My goodness what a minefield…. I think I need a week off work to read and understand it all - wait until I retire

In my experience you'll get a lot more bang for yer buck with digital - music player and DAC. To improve on this you'll need to spend around five times as much on record playing kit TT/arm/cart/phono stage. A good recording on an LP can sound really something even in mono. It can be almost a holographic experience difficult to describe if you haven't heard it.

So with the high price for record playing kit its not really worth the outlay unless you already have an extensive collection of records.

DV

Totally agree. I have a SME 20 with Koetsu cart, it is sounds beautiful. However I can plug in my laptop streaming HD music from Amazon feeding a Schitt Modi and it comes way to close for a fraction of the price.

Totally agree. I have a SME 20 with Koetsu cart, it is sounds beautiful. However I can plug in my laptop streaming HD music from Amazon feeding a Schitt Modi and it comes way to close for a fraction of the price.
I'm with you there, running a Brinkmann Bardo/12" Enterprise4/ Koetsu RSP > BB3, my pimped Node2/Mutec/Black Ice DSD made a pretty good fist of getting close to it.
I've since had the Black Ice maxed out with mods, sold the Node & mutec and added a ZenITH 3, this combo now easily matches my vinyl chain for 25% of the cost. So much so, I often wonder why I bother with a £21k vinyl rig, yes it sounds wonderful, but since sorting my digital in Oct 22 it now accounts for less than 5% of my listening. The same goes for my Lector CDP (<5%) which is at a very similar SQ level as the tt & streaming.

As I see it, the problem with getting into streaming at a level you'll be happy with longterm, is the level of your other sources which your looking to replace it with.
In your case your already at a very good level with your tt & CDP, so the cheap end of the streaming market will struggle to satisfy you in the longterm. The likes of the Wiim mini/Node etc are great for dipping your toes in the water to see if streaming for you,. Although for longterm satisfaction I think your going to need to spend £5 - 6k on say a used Innuos ZenITH (storage/ripping) or New Innous Pulse and a decent DAC, possibly valve based like the LAB12 Reference 1, to get the level of SQ your used to.

Last edited:
I would add that your laptop/computer is the equal or better than any cheap streamer if you have a good dac IME. And it’s also a computer that might be useful.

I'm with you there, running a Brinkmann Bardo/12" Enterprise4/ Koetsu RSP > BB3, my pimped Node2/Mutec/Black Ice DSD made a pretty good fist of getting close to it.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Just kidding, mostly... low hanging joke.

If you have an Ipad and a wifi network the; very easiest , almost cheapest and a very good option is an old Apple Airport Express (version2).

Link

Start with BBC sounds.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back