advertisement

Inexpensive route into digital

MVV

pfm Member
I'm a vinyl only person having gone through the CD era without buying one. Now I want to try a digital source but really don't have a clue. How do I do this inexpensively? Any help most appreciated.

Blimey. When you say digital source I assume you mean you still don't want CD and are looking at streaming? If so, something like the Wiim mini (thread on here somewhere) is probably a decent starting point, assuming you have spotify or some other streaming service?

Care required. I don't know your vinyl set up, but I suspect it's good quality. To match, or exceed that, will not be cheap.

Yes, there are inexpensive streaming solutions around and you may find their sq acceptable, but you shouldn't judge digital source potential from such devices.

If you just want to test functionality, how to do it as it were, then a low cost device is probably a good idea.

Streaming solutions critically depend on how they're controlled (often an app); make sure you choose a good one.

If you have a laptop with a decent USB out, you could always just buy a cheap, decent USB DAC and try streaming that way. Free trial of Qobuz perhaps?

Qobuz subscription and a home made raspberry pi streamer plugged into your amp. I’m not particularly IT savvy, just followed the instructions. Sounds very good indeed and it will play hi res if that floats your boat. The whole thing cost me about £80

however, I find the whole streaming thing unrewarding. It is too easy to flick from track to track. As a result, I spend most of my time listening to vinyl which is where I started!

No need to spend a fortune to see if it works for you IMHO. I recently bought a Yamaha WXAD-10 (£95) for my father to plug into his existing amp. Sounds great and he’s over the moon with it. Internet radio and Spotify etc and off you go.

I doubt you'll match your vinyl setup or even come close to it. A Rega 3 will trounce most digital solutions. I find that I just don't listen to streaming no matter how hard I try to get into it, maybe it's just the absence of anything tangible.

Maybe something like a Sonos plugged into your amp. You'll get better if you spend more Bluesound Node for example or Cambridge CXN v2.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/port

I'm a vinyl only person having gone through the CD era without buying one. Now I want to try a digital source but really don't have a clue. How do I do this inexpensively? Any help most appreciated.
I was in the same position a couple of years ago and started with a cheap dac from Amazon (£65) and an Apple TV (£40). It convinced me that streaming was the way forward. You can get a Wiim for less than that now and that’s what I would start with. I ended up with an NDX and later an NDS with an ND5XS in my second system and am content with what I have now. Not saying that is what you should do but once you’ve dipped your toe inexpensively into the water you’ll know where to take it from there.

How inexpensive is inexpensive?

I presume you already have a PC which you could connect to a DAC via USB.

In which case whatever Topping DAC suits your budget. Brilliant can be had for £200 ish with an E30 up to absolute state of the art for £900 with a D90SE.

The PC should be able to hook up to things like Qobuz and Spotify to stream to the DAC and using a CD or DVD drive it will be able to rip CD's using programmes like E.A.C or DBpoweramp and play the rips using software such as Foobar 2000. All free!

Some people seem to like sending their music files across the WIFI to a dedicated streamer but I'm a bit "old fashioned" and just connect a DAC to a mediacentre PC which can also do telly things such as netflix and amazon prime, live TV and recording and DVD/Blu ray.

There is no wrong answer just many many ways to skin this particular cat.
What is "inexpensively" ?
What digital do you own already (if any) ?
Do you have a smart phone/ipad/laptop/pc/blu ray or DVD player ?
Digital playback from physical digital media eg CD or streaming or both?
Imagine someone asking what's the best way to get into vinyl, the answers would be many and varied, all well meant, but you would need a bit more info before you could advise correctly.

Step 1. Join a streaming service -- Qobuz or Spotity, it doesn't matter at this stage. Get used to it, using your computer. It won't sound like hifi because it is using the computer's sound card and speakers, but don't worry about that at this stage. Just get familiar with how to use it to find music etc.

Step 2. If you don't have wifi in your house, make sure your hifi system is close to a wired internet port, maybe through the power points -- people here will explain how to do it.

Step 3. Buy a cheap streamer. People here will advise you, but it should not cost much money. Less that £150 certainly, maybe less than £100. You can get a second hand one for now. Do not buy a streamer with an integrated amp because you can use the amp you have now. Do not buy a streamer with an expensive integrated DAC, just a cheap one. We'll think about DAcs later.

Step 4. Set up the streamer to play the Qobuz or Spotify music through your hifi. It won't sound great, because you will be using the cheap onboard DAC -- but don't worry about that for now. Just get used to using it, finding music etc. None of this is hard, and there are people here who will help you.

Step 6.Improve the sound with a DAC. This is now real hi fi and you will need to go through all the usual hi fi decision making process -- find out what's on offer, try in your own system without committing and eventually buy the DAC you like. It's just like buying an amp or speakers.

Finally, you will have something which sounds good, you may even prefer it to your analogue music.

Thanks everyone. I have an ipad which does very little and wi-fi. I've also got a Filo DAC somewhere. I have ditched spotify cos I've got 3 Alexa things including a Sonus 1 so kitchen duties dealt with by amazon music. I struggle to believe that there is much difference in DACs but really don't want to start a row.
Inexpensive means as little as possible.

Thanks everyone. I have an ipad which does very little and wi-fi. I've also got a Filo DAC somewhere. I have ditched spotify cos I've got 3 Alexa things including a Sonus 1 so kitchen duties dealt with by amazon music. I struggle to believe that there is much difference in DACs but really don't want to start a row.
Can I assume that your Ipad is a lightning or usb-c connection (probably no headphone socket?)
If so, then one of the ‘cheapest’ ways to see what all the fuss is about is, in my opinion, to get hold of an apple dongle (lightning or usb-c to 3.5mm female socket) and then connect to amp line in using a 3.5mm/twin RCA cable. Dongle mainly intended for headphone use, I believe.
I tried this a couple of years ago when I was playing around with my Ipad as a digital source and was pleasantly surprised at how good the dongle was. It cost about £9 IIRC. The dongle contains a DAC and some other wizardry (so I’ve read) but I couldn't tell you anything about the DAC chip.
Since then, I’me moved on to a Raspberry Pi and external DAC but the Ipad/dongle was a useful intro to digital streaming, radio, etc
PS - no way I’m going to join any discussion about differences in DACs/streamers, etc. Just happy with what I have. Good luck

Find a way to connect your iPad to the Fiio and the Fiio to your HiFi, take a trial of Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon, Apple, whoever, then pick one. If you have a laptop set that up and use the iPad as a remote. If it sounds crap, consider a better dac.

Very acceptable digital will cost peanuts compared to really good analogue. as ever, buy uesed and pay even less.
I have no experience of great digital.

For me, the difference is way more than 50% to do with what you actually hear.
Analogue dictates a way to, how to, listen. Digital does, to some but a lesser extent, but it also depends on source.
I grew up with "listen for 20-30 minutes, pause, have a ponder or not, flip, or not, listen for 20-30 minutes" and repeat as required. That is as much to music to me as staves, crotchets, cleffs, guitars, drums, and everything else. It is HOW I listen to and enjoy music.

Streaming is amazing. It would be very hard for me to be without. I could easily do without vinyl, have done for years until recently ... or CD which I have not used for a long time.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/chromecast-audio-plus-mini-toslink-to-toslink-cable.279917/

The above (with a 3.5mm headphone plug to 2 x RCA cable, assuming your amp has RCA inputs) would allow you to cast/stream from the ipad to your hifi. Google (cast) is different to Amazon though and does not mix, so I don't think you could use Amazon music (but happy to be corrected). Setup:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6260600?hl=en-AU&co=GENIE.Platform=iOS

If Amazon music is a must, then the Wiim as mentioned above would seem a good choice, though haven't tried it.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

£70 used-good on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QCVVLN8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

100+ ways to skin this cat... ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back