advertisement

Inexpensive power amps for ESL57?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Right now I’m using a Nait 2 but although I’m pleased with the sound, many claim that it might not be bringing out the best in the ESLs. Also, it’s been pinched from the second system and my wife wants it back! Also, I’ve read that driving ESLs with Naim amps can accelerate the need for recaps etc., which may or may not be nonsense, but if that were the case it would be good to know.

I’m just wondering: do any inexpensive power amps exist that would drive the ESLs safely, and ideally better than the Nait 2? And is that recap concern bollocks, or a real issue?

I’ve read that driving ESLs with Naim amps can accelerate the need for recaps etc., which may or may not be nonsense, but if that were the case it would be good to know.

And is that recap concern bollocks, or a real issue?

I can`t see that it is anything other than bollocks.

I like EL34 valve amps with ESLs, or any big powerful tranny amp. I currently have a big Crown on ESL duties, it's a peach.

A JLH class A amp (such as Steve67 is building) would likely be superb with ESLs.

Bigger and better versions of the design can be built also if you need more than the 10W of the original 1969 version and there is a 50W version on the class A amp site.

FWIW the best I've ever heard ESL57's was driven by a hugely modified (by me, for a mate) Leak Stereo 20.

Peter Walker designed the 303 specifically for the ESL and it remains a superb match if stock and properly serviced. OTA even make a ‘widget’ thing to emulate it with modern amps!

Reactions: koi
I've heard them with both standard and modified 303's and whilst OK it was nowt special IMHO. An Exposure 4 DR was better and the modded Leak thrashed it.

They are not as amp-fussy as some have lead us to believe... I've run mine with Naim NAP250, Gainclones, briefly my EAR890, and currently with a Yamaha AV amp.

If I was building a system around my 57s (rather than using them as my TV speakers) I'd probably try to find a Leak Stereo 20, or a Radford STA15, but on limited budget I'd look at Quad 303, 306, or maybe a Nait or NAP110/140.

Basically the 57 will tell you exactly what the amp is doing, good or bad.

What does 'inexpensive' mean?

Anything Quad seems obvious. 306 would look good.
I've used a variety of amps with mine, all sub £300. I call that inexpensive.

Unserviced 57s in (apparently) working order are dirt cheap you-know-where, £300-400 a pair, individual ones from £100, working.

I depends if you are looking for something cheap, new and competent, or with some historical value along side the competence.

I've found an old Linn LK100 I happened to have worked excellently with a single pair but didn't like a stack. LK100 prices are similar to 306, the 306 would fit better. Etc. A classic choice in this context at a still relatively modest price and low depreciation would be a Naim NAP250, after all we know that Julian liked the 57 and Guy spent a lot of time making an update on steroids. You can turn down the voltage if your speakers don't have protection.

To avoid, IMO, is anything with too modest a voltage swing. So I wouldn't go with small tube amps, they will be clipping in normal usage. Which I think the users like, but it's a waste of a revealing speaker. Anything tube and capable will be way beyond 'inexpensive'.

I never heard anythng like clipping on my EL34 valve amp. I now have an Amcron PSA2, it sounds similar, just a bit more of everything, at 200+ wpc I think we can all be confident that's unlikely to be clipping.

To avoid, IMO, is anything with too modest a voltage swing. So I wouldn't go with small tube amps, they will be clipping in normal usage. Which I think the users like, but it's a waste of a revealing speaker. Anything tube and capable will be way beyond 'inexpensive'.

Again I dispute this. I know you like ear-shattering loud levels (I’ve heard you dem your ATCs at Scalford!) so probably want to play ESLs within an inch of their life, but they obtained their world-beating reputation working perfectly happily on 15 Watt Quad IIs. These go loud enough for most ESL listeners with no strain. It took Quad a full ten years to design a more powerful amp for them (the 303), so one can assume it was hardly a priority and Walker considered the IIs perfectly up to the job. They are a speaker that reward quality over raw power IME.

advertisement

Back