advertisement

Inexpensive, light weight, on-ear headphone recommendations please.

serendipitydawg

Dag nabbit!
I really dislike the claustrophobic sensations of headphone use & would not normally choose to listen this way.

I'm currently digitising a load of cassettes & need to monitor the process.

Showing my age, but the only headphones I ever used for longer spells were Sennheiser HD414 (80s vintage)

Is there a contemporary equivalent ?

Good call. However, I forgot to mention, I already have a pair of these.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but the HD414 had less of a vice like grip.

Had to dig to find them :). Koss Porta Pro's are still available online new.

20220813-162635-01.jpg

20220813-161531-01.jpg

I found a new pair of wired Swedish Jays U Jays on eBay for about £30...

...great for monitoring - they are not noise cancelling but block out most external noise.

Best £30 I ever spent - well made too (mine are still perfect after two years daily use).

I really dislike the claustrophobic sensations of headphone use & would not normally choose to listen this way.
I'm currently digitising a load of cassettes & need to monitor the process.
Showing my age, but the only headphones I ever used for longer spells were Sennheiser HD414 (80s vintage)
Is there a contemporary equivalent ?
My 'two penn'orth' for inexpensive, lightweight open-backed 'cans' would be the Koss KPH30i (review). My current take on monitoring / editing would be the more expensive Sony MDR 7506 (review). Please don't shoot the messengers - I could not find any UK reviews in the brief time taken for my search. The downsides of both cans, for me, are their tightness on my 'large' head (I am currently stretching the KPH30i's by parking them round the head of a small hand-drum, which seems to be working). Also, the MDR 7506's, make my ears sweat after half an hour. Btw, I love my PX100's for 'roughing-it' round and about, outside or in a crowded room; but, to me, they lack the higher musical fidelity of the above (of course, everybody's mileage may vary).

Another vote for PX100 ii - They are very light, comfortable and easy to drive.

The PX100s are great! As are the Koss Porta Pros! I doubt if you could go wrong with either. IIRC, the Koss have a livelier sound than the Sennheisers.

Koss Porta Pro On-Ear Stereo Headphones - Red Hot https://amzn.eu/d/0ACHPsv

Love their ‘retro’ vibe.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back