advertisement

Indoor Gas Stove/Wok

Not sure I would want a gas cylinder in my house, i have a similar outside camping stove and wouldn’t trust it indoors.

i have often wondered whether an electric wok would reach the desired temperature

It might reach the temp, but will it maintain it? I use a flat-bottomed one on an electric ring but you have to so careful it’s fiddly. Got a dedicated double flame cast-iron jobby for outdoors. Now that does work:)

It's just over 3kW so don't expect too much.

What's your cooker? If it's gas you could add a 300mm modular wok ring that will do a lot more, our's is 5.5 kW.

Yep, in Korea the tabletop stoves are just like the camping stoves — nothing special. More for cooking soups/stews and grilling meat at the table — Koreans don't use woks much so not sure it would be hot enough for proper Chinese style wok-ery.

If you want to wok right, you need a much bigger flame than those tabletop burners give.
Look out for a cast iron gas ring like this:
rb3-wfanpejldnkv.jpg

Should have asked my missus Angus. :D
We use a Neff domino wok unit, but it’s a built-in, not a worktop unit.

Should have asked my missus Angus. :D
Didn’t know she was Corgi Reg :) Gonna ask CAS Duncan as they are fitting a new extractor hood and fridge when they get stock. Prob go with a 30cm Hob to side of the 60cm induction and get a bigger hood.

If you want someone Corgi qualified you need to speak to Liz from the big house up the road.

We have a wok hob and a twin hob induction unit. However, our extractor hood has Failed Under Critical Test (FUCT)

If you want someone Corgi qualified you need to speak to Liz from the big house up the road.

We have a wok hob and a twin hob induction unit. However, our extractor hood has Failed Under Critical Test (FUCT)
ours too with an almighty bang couple weeks back.

May I ask what is wrong with induction for wok cooking?

I presume because you have to keep the pan on the hob for the heat. I'm no chef but when using a wok there's a lot of pan action kicking off, not to mention the risk of smacking the glass top. And of course the shape of the pan, you need a dished induction hob to hold it and give even heat.

I presume because you have to keep the pan on the hob for the heat. I'm no chef but when using a wok there's a lot of pan action kicking off, not to mention the risk of smacking the glass top. And of course the shape of the pan, you need a dished induction hob to hold it and give even heat.
Im doing something wrong then.
Flat bottomed wok, on our hob there is a 'Boost' function which basically turns it way past max (I think 11Kw equivalent) which is fine for super quick heating / stir fry, but the normal '9' (max) setting is usually plenty hot enough.
I cook every day on it, and stirfry at least once / twice per week.
Hence my query.
Cooked on gas for 40 yrs +, and will not be going back!

advertisement

Back