advertisement

In-wall Speaker Recommendations

ntom

pfm Member
I am contemplating doing a self build extension to house the hi-fi / music system -will please the Mrs having a hi-fi free lounge!!!

If I do this I want to put some in-wall / ceiling speakers in the lounge, kitchen & possibly dining room. Gonna be under floor etc as part of the build so might as well take the opportunity, & for domestic harmony....

(I'll have a separate listening room proper!!!).

Don't want to spend an arm & a leg but do want them listenable.

Reasonably compact & could be either passive or powered. Have stud partition wall suitable for mounting in lounge & dining room. Would prob be ceiling mounted in kitchen.

Any recommendations from anyone who's done the in wall thing?

Heard some revel recently as I was interested to compare with my revel m22 stand mounts. They were good actually and were that the sort of thing I were after I'd certainly consider them.

Can't help you much, but all bits count:
-First determine the available depth, this reduces soms brands/types
-Try to get similar speakers for equal sound character
-I ended up with speakercraft (without audition) with 7 cm depth (5cm also available) for the listening room (2.0 with 7.1) and Totem for the living room/kitchen. I did compair the Totem with square Linns: price/performance in favour of Totem. Not installed either yet, over a month or so I'll know more..
- there are heaps brands/types put there, although mostly quite hard to audition

The MLs would be great (I have ML 5.1 system ....or will have in the main listening room). But can't justify the expense for what will effectively be extension speakers in the other rooms...

I'm using B&W in walls in a Xbox room I've built myself in a spare bedroom.

I'm using CWM 650's for L-R and CWM Cinema 6 for the centre. There the old b&w in-walls with the yellow Kevlar drivers. Used to retails for around £300 a speaker. I paid that for all 3 in mint condition on eBay and Avforums.

I had 100mm to play with and these require a minimum 85mm mounting depth. I filled the wall with rock wool, which cost £3 from B&Q.

Had them running for a few months now and use them for my Xbox 360, mac mini and watched one or two Blu rays. I'm using an onkyo 609 to power them, b&w m1's as rears and a paradigm pdr8 subwoofer.

The system sounds very good indeed! A nice big cinematic sound with clear dialogue. I can highly recommend using them. There's a couple of sets that pop up on eBay from time to time.

I'm using B&W in walls in a Xbox room I've built myself in a spare bedroom.

I'm using CWM 650's for L-R and CWM Cinema 6 for the centre. There the old b&w in-walls with the yellow Kevlar drivers. Used to retails for around £300 a speaker. I paid that for all 3 in mint condition on eBay and Avforums.

I had 100mm to play with and these require a minimum 85mm mounting depth. I filled the wall with rock wool, which cost £3 from B&Q.

Had them running for a few months now and use them for my Xbox 360, mac mini and watched one or two Blu rays. I'm using an onkyo 609 to power them, b&w m1's as rears and a paradigm pdr8 subwoofer.

The system sounds very good indeed! A nice big cinematic sound with clear dialogue. I can highly recommend using them. There's a couple of sets that pop up on eBay from time to time.

Nice second system, Mark. I saw you got those M1 rears for a decent price too;)

I'm hoping to do something more concealed in my new house when I move in...funds permitting. Ideally I'd like a discreet HT system in the house and a proper stereo system in dedicated room in the garden..long way off yet though, sadly.

I'm currently trying to fight the urge to put an offer in on your old Dynaudio 110's. Your buyer's selling them on already. I'd have to mothball them as I sold my Roksan Caspian a while ago...long story:(

Got that Classe amp you were after yet?

Rgds
Darren

Hey Darren.

Many thanks mate, I'm very pleased with it indeed considering how much its cost me. Yeah the M1's were are bargain and work perfectly as rears :)

That would be my ideal plan in the lounge if I could justify it. Some B&W Signature in walls for 5.1 and keep my 805S's for stereo duty.

Yeah I see he's selling them again, not quite sure what happened there as he's got a matching centre for it and they sound absolutely sublime and sometimes I sit here thinking why they I get rid of them.

I'm trying to free up some cash at the moment but will hopefully be the proud owner of a Classe CAP2100 in the next few days :-D. I've got pretty high expectations so it best sound good!!

Cheers
Mark

I have 2 sets ie 4 speakers of B&W in ceiling speakers. I don't have the model number to hand but they were £300 per pair. Brand new in box, latest model etc.

Looking for £225 per pair if you're interested... PM for exact dets if they sound like something that would work for you.

advertisement

Back