advertisement

In this list, what amplifier would you pick?

Rob88

pfm Member
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advices regarding my next purchase. I'm looking to buy an amp to compare the sound with my A&R a60 on my mission 751s. I play high res files from my computer for now, still not too sure if I'll go cd or records in the future. As I have time and I'm very interested to compare, I think it could be the right time soon.

I've done some research, I know more of less what I want and have done a selection that is is my budget. here it is:

-Sansui au2200 or au217
-Pioneer a400 or a300 ( and sa5300 or same generation?)
-Marantz pm66 or 6010, Probably not ki in my budget
-Rotel 820 or 840 but it comes last in my list

Now I know some are older than others, so the condition will define my choice. We can split them is two different era I know, 70s and 90s. I've found two Sansuis on ebay now that have been recaped and are in my budget (Ideally no more than 150£), I got to say I always wanted to listen to an old Sansui but the Pioneer are interesting too as the a400/300 are from the same era than my speakers.

I would like to hear what you think of the above, if you have any experience with any of these and if you think the Sansui would be a good match with the Missions.

Thanks a lot in advance

From the list the Rotels should be at the top.
The older Sansui is very short on power, the newer is OK.
The Marantz models are OK.
The Pioneers are very Marmite.

On a good day you can pick up a MF E100 (no tone controls though) for your budget. It would destroy all others you mention including the very capable A60.

A properly working A60 is *very* good IMHO. If its a nice tidy one I’d pay to get it properly serviced/recapped etc.

There’s lots on information regarding mods for the A60 and the bandwidth of the amp can be opened up by changing a few capacitors.

changing the feedback resistors for Welwyn and adding a few polystyrenes and you can have a real nait killer for £30

So my a60 has been serviced, completely recapped. However I blew fuses last week and it need to be fixed, which I will do when I'll find a pro to do it. I'm actually not looking to replace it but more to compare it, initiate my ear if you wish.

As for the speakers yes I was thinking trying something else but I don't know if I'll have enough room in my flat to stock 2 pairs. I was looking at some Royds or Audiomaster that are usually in the same price range, but not sure it would be an upgrade at all.

The Rotel's by a country mile on that list. I would expect them to nudge ahead of the A60.

I would go for a MF B200 above all those though.

The A60 is an easy fix...

I've read good things about the rotels, not fan of the look personally but why not. However there is plenty of different versions, BX3 BX4...

Never look at Musical fidelity, great, I'll have a look thank you :) (edit: what's on sale now is a bit above my budget, not by much though. What about the E1/E10?)

The Sansuis are the one that intrigues me the most, I keep reading so many good reviews about old Sansui so I would have know how these two entry level would sound compare to the a60?

I've read good things about the rotels, not fan of the look personally but why not. However there is plenty of different versions, BX3 BX4...

Never look at Musical fidelity, great, I'll have a look thank you :)

The Sansuis are the one that intrigues me the most, I keep reading so many good reviews about old Sansui so I would have know how these two entry level would sound compare to the a60?

You want to be looking out for the bigger Sansui's 719, 919 if you can find one. I had a 719 that I stupidly sold.

Thanks for your input. The 2200 and 217, If I understand well, were the entry level back then. I'll follow your recommendations then and will wait until I have the budget for a better Sansui.

Amplifiers are system dependant.
You mention Rotels are at the bottom of your list.
I tried an Arcam on a vinyl only system for my son, driving Acoustic Research AR18S speakers.
It didn't suit.
Tried a Rotel 810 and it brought the system to life.

Ok so after taking in consideration all your feedback it sounds wise to just stick with the a60 and potentially upgrade it. I apparently have blown something on the recapped one, so I'm using the other one for now. I mean I'm happy with the a60, I just think at some point I'll need to listen to something else to educate my hear, to be able to judge as I'm a newbie. Thanks a lot for your feedbacks

The Rotel 840 is probably 'best'. The Sansui amps are very much entry level and were caned by the good old NAD 3020 at the time. The A60 is the best investment and probably the most forgiving in terms of balance.

How about a Sansui AU-505? For my money it would be better than an AU-217 and is generally reckoned not to be disgraced by some of the more expensive Sansui's of that era. I've not heard an AU-717 but I read a thread on Audiokarma about a guy who owned both an AU-505 and the more expensive AU-717 and ended up selling the 717.

For my part I have both an AU-505 and an A60 both of which have been re-capped. My speakers are Ditton 44's.

They are both good amps but for me the Sansui is superior especially in the bass department. However unless you can find one that's already been serviced then the cost of a decent re-cap and service would probably be more than £150, but I think that's going to apply to most vintage amps unless off course you can do the work yourself.

AU-555a is also worth looking out for as it is similar internally to the AU-505. If you want that warm early 70's Sansui sound on a budget then don't discount the 505's little brother the AU-101. If you can live with a receiver then the Sansui 800 is said to have a similar amp section to AU-505/555a.

There's lots of info over on Audiokarma about servicing and upgrading these amps.

I had an AU-101 in for repair about a year ago and it is very crude. Not that dissimilar to the likes of a Leak Stereo 30 Plus in topology etc. I didn't listen to it.

The Rotel 840BX 3 or 4 sound very good and are high current designs so will drive a wide range of speakers well.I had one driving Gale 401s in a second system for a while which are notoriously difficult things to drive but it did the job surprisingly well and sounded excellent.[a BX4].

advertisement

Back