advertisement

In praise of Ringo

Certainly seemed to work for a certain James Marshall Hendrix

The guitar was upside down but it was restrung to a traditional string lay out. I meant upside down as in Albert King, Dick Dale etc. where they literally flip a R/H guitar upside down and learn to play it with the high E at the top and the Low E at the bottom, which is just madness.

Worlds great drummers salute Ringo;

All good calls there. Excellent drummer, highly original in his day. He always plays for the song. "A Day in the Life" is made up largely of fills: I'm not sure if any are repeated. On John Lennon/Yoko Ono his playing is as simple and steady and assuring as a mechanical watch. I can't imagine the album without him.

I think there's a case for making him the first famous "rock" drummer, in that he wasn't trained in the traditional way (and seemed to have no interest in it) and played with the matched grip.

My late brother was a drummer and once told me that, in his opinion, many drummers ‘overdid it.’
Phil wasn’t a fan of drum solos.
Economical playing was his way.
We worked as a team, as I was on bass guitar.
It made it all the more interesting as we were twins.
I miss his musical insight...

My late brother was a drummer and once told me that, in his opinion, many drummers ‘overdid it.’
Phil wasn’t a fan of drum solos.
Economical playing was his way.
We worked as a team, as I was on bass guitar.
It made it all the more interesting as we were twins.
I miss his musical insight...

Sorry to hear of your loss, as an only child it's not something I've ever had to worry about.

If we're talking about economical drummers am I allowed to mention the great Dave Mattacks?

Sorry to hear about your brother, Martyn.

I used to play in a band with identical twins, very interesting it was! Sisters, guitar and bass. In some ways they were almost a single entity; musically, not always.

Sorry to hear of your loss, as an only child it's not something I've ever had to worry about.

If we're talking about economical drummers am I allowed to mention the great Dave Mattacks?

Ah, Dave Mattacks and Fairport Convention.
Never heard Dave in the early days of Fairport, but occasionally at Cropredy.
I recall an interview he did about Sandy Denny’s days in FC.
He spoke with much affection for her.
Seems like a very likeable guy...

I've mentioned this before but there is a great piece on Ringo in 'Uncommon People' by David Hepworth. He likens drummers to actors, & says that often protagonists perceived as good/great are actually just over acting. I like subtlety where you just enjoy the performance before picking out what makes it work. He is very good on 'Things we said today', very subtle but underpins the whole melody & makes it swing.

I think McCartney has always played left handed instruments whilst in The Beatles, whether he did or not prior to that I doubt would have had any effect on what he created playing properly. Where as Ringo learned to play a right hand kit as a left hander and continued to do so even when he could have chosen to change, which is the difference I think.

Depends how far you want to go back. Woodface is actually right. In the very early days, before he moved to playing bass, Paul McCartney played a right-handed guitar restrung upside down and flipped backwards. See photo below....
600817_indra-club-hamburg_01.jpg

Depends how far you want to go back. Woodface is actually right. In the very early days, before he moved to playing bass, Paul McCartney played a right-handed guitar restrung upside down and flipped backwards. See photo below....
600817_indra-club-hamburg_01.jpg

But that's not what I said, in effect he's still playing a left handed guitar it just happens to have started life as a right handed guitar and been adapted.

What I mean by upside down is the strings are still in the same position as they are for right handed play so a left handed person is actually playing it backwards for want of a better word, this is completely different from flipping a guitar upside down and restringing it.

advertisement

Back