advertisement

Impulse Lali

ledzep68

pfm Member
Heres another set i wolud like some info on if anybody has any or owned a pair what are they like sound wise any good?thanks

I tried a pair at home years ago. They are terrible!

If you want to listen to light orchestral at low volume then cool because they cannot do anything else.

I tried a pair at home years ago. They are terrible!

If you want to listen to light orchestral at low volume then cool because they cannot do anything else.
Utter bosh and nonsense.

The Lali are a cosmetic make-over the Impulse H6 and seriously capable, compact floorstanders. Bass is solid down to about 35Hz*, very easy to drive (i.e happy with a Nait 2 or small valve if you prefer, still very happy with much more power).

The law of '80-20' is all powerful; the H6 / Lali will just dish up music in any genre with even modest source/amps whereas the rather more upscale H2/ Ta'us can tend to be merciless with sources and amps (telling quite exactly what each does wrong, but quite wonderful all the same). H6/Lali are not entirely colouration- free, but tight, tuneful and hours of fun. I kind of wish I'd kept mine, but just didn't have the space with the H2s, the ESLs, etc at the time.

Aspara do an update on the same theme, baased on newer drive units and it sounds even cleaner. It's a great compact floorstander speaker which definitely has the family traits - if not the bargain price a decent s/hand pair of Lali will be.

* the only speaker with a 5" driver I've heard that manages some justice to a bass tuned to a low B (27Hz) even.

Well, each to his own. Wouldn't give them house room myself. I guess you need to try these things for yourself, that's the only way you can know.

Well, each to his own. Wouldn't give them house room myself. I guess you need to try these things for yourself, that's the only way you can know.

My old Impulse H6s were one of the best speakers I've ever heard. Staggeringly good in a huge range of situations, but really excelled in my old 33'x20' lounge.
This is not just my opinion - everyone who heard them was seriously impressed. I'm struggling to think of any criteria that would let you hate them as much as you seem to.
Andrew H

Sometimes speakers can sound bad , because they are revealing the rubbish that being put into them. The Gale 401 were slagged off , why because they were too good for the source/electronics of the time. Same could apply to Mr pigs experience.
Roberts H2 were something very special , i wanted them , but my wife would have killed me:D

Sometimes speakers can sound bad , because they are revealing the rubbish that being put into them. Same could apply to Mr pigs experience.

I tried them with Naim amps, Naim CD player and an LP12/Ittok (can't remember what the cart was at the time was).

At the time I was using early MII Linn Kans and the Kans just demolished them. Despite having a little less bass extension the Kans sounded bigger, faster, more dynamic, more involving, more solid and just generally a lot better. It was no contest.

The Lalis had a completely different presentation. Rather than put the sound out in the room they painted a delicate picture behind the speakers. It was clear and detailed enough but very lightweight. Kans sound bigger than they are, the Lalis sounded smaller. Like I say, with simple acoustic music they were very pleasant but put on rock and they just fell apart. Their dynamic and rhythmic limitations became glaringly obvious. They sounded like what they are, tiny drive units in a boomy box.

The ones I tried looked like this:

lali.jpg

I tried them with Naim amps, Naim CD player and an LP12/Ittok (can't remember what the cart was at the time was).

At the time I was using early MII Linn Kans and the Kans just demolished them. Despite having a little less bass extension the Kans sounded bigger, faster, more dynamic, more involving, more solid and just generally a lot better. It was no contest.

The Lalis had a completely different presentation. Rather than put the sound out in the room they painted a delicate picture behind the speakers. It was clear and detailed enough but very lightweight. Kans sound bigger than they are, the Lalis sounded smaller. Like I say, with simple acoustic music they were very pleasant but put on rock and they just fell apart. Their dynamic and rhythmic limitations became glaringly obvious. They sounded like what they are, tiny drive units in a boomy box.

The ones I tried looked like this:

lali.jpg
I have Kan 1s and am very familiar with Kans over 25 years or so. I've also had Impulses in various guises for 6 or seven years.

Yours is absolutely not the experience I've had comparing Kans with H6s or any other Impulse speaker I've ever heard. In fact, it's completely backwards to what I would expect based on my experience. Impulses generally go loud, do dynamics well and sound big. My criticisms would be over exuberant, not entirely natural and overemphasising vocals. So I'm a bit puzzled.

Try to hear some more is all I can suggest.

Try to hear some more is all I can suggest.

I've always wanted to hear the bigger Impulse speakers, my curiosity was aroused by the mad set-up Jimmy Hughes used in his flat! ;0) I certainly have nothing against horns in principal. High efficiency speakers seem a very logical idea to me. Which is no doubt why I use Isobariks! ;0)

Wow thanks for all the info people,i had a listen and what a speaker!! they done everything right for me plenty of nice tight punchy bass lovely sweet top end and a ultra nice mid, and they was in flat sized frontroom so they will be fine in my frontroom,like lots of people have said,i would have to spend lots to better them,these have the 6" driver and inverted tweeter,gonna stick with these for a long time

I cannot comment on the system you used the Lalis in as it would be more than my current life is worth. The only comment I will make is this , Maybe the Lalis were exposing a problem in the system you had and the Kans , which are very forward in their presentation , didnt expose the problem.

Maybe the Lalis were exposing a problem in the system

Maybe I didn't like them.

We all have different values and are looking for different things in Hi-Fi equipment. It's a bit blinkered to assume that because someone doesn't like a product which you do like that his system must be broken.

advertisement

Back