Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse H5?

Discussion in 'audio' started by RidleyRumpus, Aug 8, 2020.

1. RidleyRumpus

RidleyRumpus Registered User

[​IMG]
    Are these Impulse H5's?

If so I cannot find much info on them, are they any good?

There is some damage to the grills, cat pulling, so I would like to know if it is worth repairing them ie are they worth much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Pics don’t work. Send them over and I’ll host them for you.

talkaudioatmedotcom

3. RidleyRumpus

My pics don't work, or pics in general don't work?

If the former where can I host? Google Photos doesn't seem to work, nor does IMGUR, unless of course I am doing something wrong.

Edit

Sorted, in a roundabout way using imgur

4. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

[​IMG]
    Apparently they are H5’s (pictures courtesy of Acoustica.org) Never personally saw a pair.

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

As the owner of impulse taus refurbed by rfc I would say they may well be worth reparing. Might be worth 250 in current state perhaps based on decent price of impulse lali which sell in good nick for 450

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

If you look in diy section of pfm you will find a thread on h5 restoration by rfc

7. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Impulse made really good speakers. Definitely worth putting some work into them.

brumjam, Robert and hifinutt like this.
  8. RidleyRumpus

I remember when I got them that I was playing some music and left the room that the HiFi was set up in and going to the loo. I noticed something odd, the loft hatch in the next but one room (all downstairs) was lifting in time with the bass.......now that is some extension.

I wasn't even playing them that loud.

sideshowbob likes this.
  9. RidleyRumpus

Thanks for that, that is exactly what I am looking for.

On viewing the thread there doesn't appear to be much info, unless I am looking at the wrong thread.

10. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

That's because there really isn't much info available!

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/impulse/impulse.html

I put this page set together, and other than the H5 bass driver and bass cabinet design being essentially the bass end of the H2 design - which is the bit you probably want to know about - the tweeter was a Seas 'Searola' single unit popped in to make it a 2-way. Looks like a Seas rebadge version of a Motorola piezo 'horn' thing to me. Never found any specs on it, and 3decades out of production I'd guess. Wasn't used in anything else Impulse even trialled...

Some years ago I had an interesting email conversation with Brian Taylor re: his Impulse designs; the H5 was passed over.Very , very few built.

The smaller, follow-up H6 was a very, very much more successful format for a 2-way speaker; not only more domestically acceptable but - wth a more natural /easier to manage handover from bass to treble for 2-way, part of which was handled in the cabinet width complementing the simple crossover design (i.e. a finessed acoustic design in the round) - also way more forgiving of placement and upstream kit, pure fun, and a staggering bargain in terms of delivered sound quality. In some ways I do wish I'd kept my pair, but I ran out of space, what with the H2s, the ESL57s...*

[*then; it's the same H2s, or Quad 989s now: lesson thoroughly resisted ;) ]

hifinutt likes this.
  11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

thanks martin
    well i have some spare drivers for my taus which are very rare i believe
    it sounds pretty awesome and well worth letting RFC do his magic

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/impulse-h5-restoration.177156/

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/impulse-taus-conversion-and-restoration.176744/

[​IMG]P1060106 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]P1060108 by , on Flickr

to get idea of size , these are them with a p3esr

[​IMG]P1060434 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]P1060110 by , on Flickr

these are the cherry crossover boxes made to match

superb imaging on these taus , i now have them firing straight ahead and they give a wall of sound not dissimilar to my martin logan summit x [ long gone :(]

12. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Interesting Phil, l have some H6's in the lounge butted up as close to the rear wall as possible and the bass is very nice, put them in my den 12' x 11' with them firing directly at me and get a tad too much bass- will try them in here firing straight ahead.:)

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , i have struggled with a lot of amps because the room is a bit bright , for some while i had them toed straight towards me as i nearly always do . so one day to reduce brightness i had them firing straight ahead and the difference is night and day .

I don`t have huge bass on these on purpose , they are on track audio stands to help . my neighbours bedroom is diagonally below so didn`t want any complaints

Tarzan likes this.
  14. sandford

sandford pfm Member

I think those are my old H5 in the acoustica pic above, really good speakers I love them for years until the foam on the drivers went and I moved them on to a PFM member. They were replaced by Tannoy sterling’s which are a better speaker overall but lacked the boggie factor of the H5.

15. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

been playing the taus this evening , not a brilliant recording but i like them