advertisement

Improving the performance of the Hugo TT2

scottcarpenter

pfm Member
I have recently invested in a Chord Hugo TT2. I am feeding it using a Macbook via USB. It replaced my Naim DAC V1. It's clearly a significant upgrade.

However, in comparison to my vinyl source (a Rega RP10 and Rega Aria) I find it underwhelming so I am looking at options to maximise the TT2.

I don't really have the funds to add the Rega M Scaler so I would value suggestions to make the TT2 really sing. I am considering a streamer (maybe a Bluenote None N130) or perhaps a Naim NDS - which seems to be very well regarded and great value for money now.

The rest of my system is a Naim 552 and NAP 300DR feeding Kudos Titan T808s.

All suggestions gratefully received :)

I don't really have the funds to add the Rega Upscaler
You mean the Chord M Scaler? Having auditioned it extensively I can confirm that the M Scaler really does bring the TT2's performance up a notch, the music sounds freer and more natural with it in the chain. It is rather pricey though!

You mean the Chord M Scaler? Having auditioned it extensively I can confirm that the M Scaler really does bring the TT2's performance up a notch, the music sounds freer and more natural with it in the chain. It is rather pricey though!
It is pricey!

What source devices are you playing through the TT2?

If you want to improve the TT2 three options come to mind, depending who you ask cables and a linear power supply may make a difference or not - try before you buy and the third one you is what you’ve mentioned, the M-Scaler which defo does make a difference.

Rather than the Node/NDS to TT2 I’d be looking at swapping the TT2 for one of the new Naim steamers ND5XS2 or NDX2.

I have heard the M Scaler with Dave and I thought it was too clinical. I wouldn’t spend any money on the M scaler. Have a look at the Bricasti streamer which you can then keep it for any Dac in the future.

https://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

A good vinyl setup will be very hard to match with digital and you are experiencing what a lot of people have gone through.

What source devices are you playing through the TT2?

If you want to improve the TT2 three options come to mind, depending who you ask cables and a linear power supply may make a difference or not - try before you buy and the third one you is what you’ve mentioned, the M-Scaler which defo does make a difference.

Rather than the Node/NDS to TT2 I’d be looking at swapping the TT2 for one of the new Naim steamers ND5XS2 or NDX2.

I am certainly looking at the NDX2. I could sell my virtually new TT2 and the second hand price of a NDX2 is not a lot extra.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the NDX2.

Since you use a MacBook via USB (same as me) have a look at the Mutec MC-3 USB. It made a substantial difference. Lots of info elsewhere if you Google. This is a really cost effective upgrade.

How exactly is it falling short of the vinyl? The DAC is 90% of the sound of any digital front end so you won't make any substantial changes. The TT2 is great but it's not the most "vinyly" of DACs.

The TT2 uses supercapacitors so if you pull the plug it'll continue playing for a few seconds with no change in sound quality, proving an external LPSU is unnecessary.

Ultimately I found I improved the performance by selling it and keeping the TT1.

What replay software are you using? Are you sure that nothing is choosing to "enhance" the sound whilst still in the Mac domain?

I have just added an Aria in place of a generic pre-amp phono stage. Even with an old workaday turntable (a Dual CS5000) with a MM cartridge it sets a very high standard vs. my Meridian Sooloos (early version of Roon) digital music system.

How exactly is it falling short of the vinyl? The DAC is 90% of the sound of any digital front end so you won't make any substantial changes. The TT2 is great but it's not the most "vinyly" of DACs.

Exactly this, if you prefer a more vinyl sound maybe the Chord path isn't for you, have you thought about any of the R2R DACs on the market?

My most recent discovery is the laptop and software used to play music will affect some quality. USB out from laptop to DAC. I'm not sure about the Hugo TT but I believe my QBD76 has a good USB connection without requiring any additional device to optimise sound quality at the USB interface.

I recently changed laptop and used a different music software. The sound quality is different between the two set ups. Both music softwares are running Asio. Not a night and day difference but still appreciable nevertheless. In this hobby, the small differences can make a big difference.

Are you suggesting the internal DAC of the NDX2 sounds better than the Hugo TT?
IMHO “sounds better” at this level is really just “sounds different”

In the context of the OPs systems I personally would go for the Naim over the Mac or Node feeding the TT2 and also add Roon - but that’s purely my opinion. I think it makes more sense to marry the NDX2 with his 552/300 given his stated goal of getting closer to his Rega TT rig.

I can only speak for the Hugo 1 vs Naim NDS
There was very little in it (for me) when bypassing the NDS internal dac and putting it though the Hugo

This (at the time) made the Hugo a bargain price wise ...but I ultimately stayed with the NDS and I'm still happy.

I do NOT feel the NDX2 would be any sort of an upgrade on what you have already

I have recently invested in a Chord Hugo TT2. I am feeding it using a Macbook via USB. It replaced my Naim DAC V1. It's clearly a significant upgrade.

However, in comparison to my vinyl source (a Rega RP10 and Rega Aria) I find it underwhelming so I am looking at options to maximise the TT2.

I don't really have the funds to add the Rega M Scaler so I would value suggestions to make the TT2 really sing. I am considering a streamer (maybe a Bluenote None N130) or perhaps a Naim NDS - which seems to be very well regarded and great value for money now.

The rest of my system is a Naim 552 and NAP 300DR feeding Kudos Titan T808s.

All suggestions gratefully received :)
Couldn’t find any measurements for the TT2 but the original TT measures well,
https://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements
I would suggest audibly transparent which means you can’t ‘improve’ it, you could try a NOS dac which may add a bit of distortion/treble roll off you may like.
Keith

I have a TT2 and can report that it was improved by the addition of an m-scaler. I would recommend giving it a try over a reasonable period of time when you are enjoying music rather than concentrating on sound. The most obvious difference is an improvement in transients on some recordings which makes the sound more realistic. A more subtle, but arguably more important, difference is an improvement in naturalness. Listen to music for a while with the m-scaler plugged in and then switch it out and the effect is of the music sounding strangely unnatural, more difficult to follow. In essence it does digital extremely well, many claim (often without trying it :rolleyes:) that it is unnecessary. Perhaps they need to update their concept of audibly transparent.

Does it sound more like vinyl? Not sure, but it does have the natural quality without fatigue that a fully analogue system can give. It was when I went back to the TT2 without m-scaler that I understood why so many hang on to vinyl in spite of its limitations.

Is it worth the price tag? It is for me in the context of my system but may not be for someone else, hence the need for a lengthy listen. Either way the only way to find out is to try without any preconceptions.

I have a TT2 and can report that it was improved by the addition of an m-scaler. I would recommend giving it a try over a reasonable period of time when you are enjoying music rather than concentrating on sound. The most obvious difference is an improvement in transients on some recordings which makes the sound more realistic. A more subtle, but arguably more important, difference is an improvement in naturalness. Listen to music for a while with the m-scaler plugged in and then switch it out and the effect is of the music sounding strangely unnatural, more difficult to follow. In essence it does digital extremely well, many claim (often without trying it :rolleyes:) that it is unnecessary. Perhaps they need to update their concept of audibly transparent.

Does it sound more like vinyl? Not sure, but it does have the natural quality without fatigue that a fully analogue system can give. It was when I went back to the TT2 without m-scaler that I understood why so many hang on to vinyl in spite of its limitations.

Is it worth the price tag? It is for me in the context of my system but may not be for someone else, hence the need for a lengthy listen. Either way the only way to find out is to try without any preconceptions.
Agree about taking time to assess equipment and the remove/do I miss it method. I bought quite a lot of kit to compare with the kit I had in place over covid rather than do demos and was very impressed with the TT2 + Scaler as a combo, fed from an Allo Sig or Aries G2 it was really enjoyable to listen to, I wouldn't replace my vinyl with it though, don't much care for the Chord coloured button control method but many seem OK with it.

Comments/Tests on so called expert sites/forums and mag reviews matter little/not at all to me, the best and only way to be sure if you like something and it suits your tastes/room/system is to try it at home - I decide on new purchases by either - borrow/home loan or sale/return or buy used/move on.

advertisement

Back