advertisement

Immense Luck - tonight has been a belter :D

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
Earlier tonight I saw an ad on Facebook marketplace - a chap selling a bunch of separates for £20 - a denon tuner, an amp and a cassette deck. None of it is particularly wonderful - don't get me wrong, I remember the amp (a PMA 250-ii) being a nice performer, the TU720 tuners are rather likable, and the cassette player (DRM 500) is far from being the worst thing in the world.

So a string of messages flows. First off, would I like a pair of celestion 3 speakers for £20? well, ok then. They're not the best, but it never hurts to have another pair for testing, etc. Then he says that he can't seem to get the tuner working, would I still want all the kit and knock a fiver off? Sure, why not. That amp is the thing I really want, to pair with the Goodmans Magnum K2's that are being picked up in a couple of days.

Then comes the wahooo moment. Would I like this Ion Obelisk amp.... for £5? yesyesyesyespleaseyes! I gave my last one to a friend (another "friend" had blown a channel on it, so giving it to someone with repair skills makes sense) - and I've always wanted another.

So shortly arriving at chez GruntPuppy, an Ion Obelisk amp. Those Wharfedale super 10's I listed in the charity thread might be staying while longer after all, or I might make this the amp for my parents' system. Either way, what a lovely little belter of an amp!

198919968_1212675322508336_6065381023192098271_n.jpg

This surely has to be the last part of the saga - Chap gave me a cd player with the rest of the kit - apparently dead. He'd noticed a brief moment of life when he'd played with the power cable, I checked and made good the connections at both ends, and she's alive :D The drawer mechanism is in need of a new belt as it's a bit hesitant to open, but that's easily rectified I think :D i'll test play the cd player at a more sociable hour tomorrow, and if that's a goer I'll get a loading mech belt ordered.

It's nice when you strike gold like that.

A few years ago there was an advert on eBay titled just 'Bike'. That was all it said. Local pickup only and terrible pictures but enough think there might be some good stuff there. It wasn't a completed bike, it was a collection of parts.

Took the risk and won it, can't remember what for but when I went to the guy's house it turned out to be a lot less than the stuff was worth. The guy had bought a bunch of bits intending to assemble a mountain bike, a lot of it brand new, but he'd bought the wrong things. Crank-set and forks that didn't fit the frame, that sort of thing. And he also pulled out more stuff that wasn't shown on the eBay add! It was ridiculous.

I actually gave the guy more than I bid because it just felt wrong not to. I still got a great deal. Sold what I couldn't use and built the frame up into a really cool steel hardtail for my son.

Ahhh, reminds me of the 2 hour drive to Norwich to pick up a Nait 2, with a noisy volume control, for £50! Turning the volume up and down many times cleared the gunk from the contacts and a few years enjoyment was had, before moving it on for a small profit...

I drove 60 miles to Norwich to pick up a 6m pair of NacA5 cables
Paid £200
When I got home I noticed they weren't a pair at all!
Not exactly a deal....as I couldn't bring myself to ever use them

advertisement

Back